Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 6, 2005, 1:09 AM   #1

Hey all!, this picture isn't all that. It is my primary reason for switching to a dslr. I love my FZ20, and in bright light it is by far my favorite camera. But here, ISO 400 just doesn't cut it as far as light. I probably should have been shooting at ISO1600 but obviously had no choice. And how should I clean up the noise that the ISO 400 setting gives me? I think I once downloaded the trial version of neat image, but I didn't know what to set everything at. Is there a website that explains the program? Or can someone give me general guidelines as what to set those parameters at? Anyway here is the pic, and another on the way. It was ok, and I must say, having a slow shutter speed definitely could enhance the artistic quality of the prints, rather than shooting at a higher shutter speed and just capturing the action. But of course you have to have luck on your side:

Attached Images

Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2005, 1:12 AM   #2

another pic:

Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2005, 1:14 AM   #3

yet another:

Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2005, 5:42 AM   #4

Nice shots. I like the way you've captured the movement with the slow shutter speed. Sure there is noise but I have seen much worse.
js63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:22 AM   #5

Great pics, Nancy. What DSLR did you wind up getting? I used to diss them because I thought they were way over-priced (and they were) but now they're starting to look interesting. These pics are a classic example. I like the new Pentax *st but the Nikon D70 looks good too.

On my monitor, Nancy, these pics look good. I would be hesitant to use a noise filter on them as you will lose detail along with the noise. I never use it unless I think it needs it. I can live with a bit of noise, and it's always worse looking on a monitor than on prints.

Neat Image:

I use it in PS. Think it works the same for both PS version and stand alone. Here's a quickie:

1. Press "Auto Profile" a blue square will appear around the "flattest/least detailed" part of the pic, as determined by the software.

2. Press the tab up top that sez "Noise Filter Settings". Preview will apply the filter to the portion of the image w/in the square. Apply applies the filter to the image.

Note 1: You know you can download individual noise profiles for each camera at different iso settings or create your own. Check the site to see if any exist for your camera.

Note 2: On the right in the noise filter settings tab, you will see sliders for "Noise Reduction Amount". I set Hight at 70%, Mid = 60%, Low = 60%. 100% default often leaves the images plastic-y lookin'. I find these setting work best but you can f-around with them a bit, of course. YMMV.

Nick
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 2:39 PM   #6

Hey Nick. These were taken with my Panasonic. I haven't bought my camera yet, I just decided to definitely get one. While I like these pics, these were the only usable ones in about thirty something. The rest were just too blurry from the movement. But I decided on the Canon EOS D20. I have seen wedding shots with the D70 and while the quality is ok, the Canon is definitely better. Plus it shoots at 5 frames per second, and right now Canon has the best auto tracking focus which I like for my candid photography. Plus, with all things considered it is cheaper than the Nikon setup. Canon has a few new lenses designed specifically for their dslrs. Plus they came out with a zoom lens that goes up to 300mm (480mm equiv.) and it is a short lens, not like those big monsters you see at football games. So it has slightly greater range than the FZ20. Of course it starts at I think 70mm. So I will have to switch between two lenses. The other lens will have a 35mm equivalent of 28mm which is wider than the FZ20, so I will have to sacrifice changing lenses but I will wind up with greater range in both directions.

But my main point with these photos was that the ISO wasn't high enough to capture the photos. Sure I got some nice artistic ones, but if someone was paying me to do that shoot, I would have gotten fired. The D20 has ISOs up to 3200 and the 1600 has about as much noise as our 400, and even the 3200 is useable. This is the main reason I am getting the camera, it would be nice to shoot action shots indoors, and not have to use a flash all the time. I will probably get the camera in a few weeks, things have been slow here, which is why I'm not on my computer, which is why I haven't been on the forum much. When I get it I will give you guys a link to my pictures. Take care.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 3:01 PM   #7

Hi Nancy,

As a peruvian one, Im glad and proud you like afro peruviand dance, and my favourite is the second one.

On the other hand, Im also planning to get a DSRL soon and it is quite a bit probably that I'll go for the new 350D, because of its size and price,so I've looking for the suitable lens for using with this camera.....and I believe the right combination is the Canon EF S 17-85 and the Sigma 70-300 APO (believe me, thisSigma lens is better than the Canon 75-300 IS) I'd like to buy the Canon 70-300 DO but it is too expensive.....and the sample images posted at photo.net does not say much about this lens.,,,,even they qualify this lens at 300mm as a mediocre.

Well, thats all.....I hope this help you a bit.

Regards,

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 3:20 PM   #8

thanks for the input, I checked out the sample images for the 300mm DO lens and it wasn't bad, but it should be better for a thousand dollar lens. Hey do you know where I can get a review of that Sigma lens you mentioned? I checked on Photo.net but they didn't seem to have one.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 3:57 PM   #9

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
thanks for the input, I checked out the sample images for the 300mm DO lens and it wasn't bad, but it should be better for a thousand dollar lens.
William castleman has a better and thorough review about this lens, check out by yourself on the link below:

http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/70_300/index.htm
Quote:
Hey do you know where I can get a review of that Sigma lens you mentioned? I checked on Photo.net but they didn't seem to have one.
Unfortunately I dont, just the sample images at Pbase.com , but there's a forum in spanish( dont know if you speak spanish but in case you do) at decamaras.com, one of members is called "Ralph99" and he has an incredible "arsenal" of interchangeable lenses.....he has both (sigma and Canon)and he is quite disappointed with the quality at full zoom (300mm) of the Canon 75-300 IS, so he strongly recommend everyone to go for the Sigma 70-300 APO, in case you dont have the money to get an expensive lens like the Canon 70-200 f2.8L or the Sigma 100-300 APO.

On the Dpreview forum someone posted a comparison between these lenses, I was trying to find the link but I couldnt, .......

I'll email you, In case I find something about this lens

Regards.

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 4:56 PM   #10

I was planning on going for the canon70-300mm DO IS lens, it is supposed to be very fast in the autofocus, and the IS is supposed to be very good, if it isn't as sharp at 300mm, so be it. The FZ20 ain't that sharp, and it produces great images. I am wondering if the Sigma lens can autofocus quickly and I don't think it has an IS which I will probably need. It is very inexpensive, though. I have a feeling in the next few years all of the lens manufacturers will be re doing all of their lenses to suit the needs of the ever growing dslr user. Hopefully Canon will come out with an EF-S lens equivalent to the 70-300mm DO lens that will be better and cheaper. If you do find some more info on that Sigma lens let me know. Does Tamron make one with the same specs???