Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 6, 2005, 1:48 PM   #1

I wanted to try out the new 6T I got this week with my FZ20. I also wanted to see what people were saying about using ext. flash in macro photography. You will see by pic #2 that obviously I don't understand it at all:?. Since it's in the 20's out and still a foot of snow on the ground, finding insects or other willing participants doesn't exist. So I had to improvise an inside setup with natural light from the windows. Don't laugh- he has caught quite a few nice crappies and a few bass to boot:lol:.

#1 No flash/macro mode/6T at 6X zoom, distance 14" and manual focus-
Attached Images

ggw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2005, 1:51 PM   #2

#2 pic same setup except Vivitar 285HV set to 1/16 power ans Sto-fen 2.5X reduction cover on. Flash was aimed at 90 degrees. Now you know why I don't understand flash with macro..
Attached Images

Old Mar 6, 2005, 3:25 PM   #3

It just hit me that when using a flash you would (could) use a higher Fstop thus giving you a greater DOF- correct? Gerry
Old Mar 6, 2005, 4:59 PM   #4

You can shoot a higher f stop. You can use a lower ASA too. No need for slow exposures.

I have been getting similar lighting with the head at 90; angling it upward helps decrease the light. I just ordered a varipower adapter for my 283 Vivitar, it offers more light level adjustments than the 285 dial (1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 vs. 1/16, 1/4, 1/2) - it arrives this week so I guess I'll see what the lower settings can do.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 6:06 PM   #5

ggw2000 wrote:
Quote:
Now you know why I don't understand flash with macro..
I'm in the same boat. I tried using a flash on my macro shots as well, and just like yours, they were all blown out. I even triedangling a white card in front of the flash top cut down on the intensity, but it didn't seem to do much.

Merrill

mtritt is offline   Reply With Quote