Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 7, 2005, 11:21 AM   #11

As stoney has stated in his carefully conducted test " This shows clearly that digizoom is absolutly useless."
I mean how can you doubt it after seeing his results:?
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:24 PM   #12

I put my FZ10 on a tripod and shot a dock across the water from me. One is manual zoom at 12X and the other digital at 36X. I cropped both shots so you can see the detail, then resized the manual zoom crop to the same size as the digital with a simple bicubic resample. What looks like noise on the boat hull and poles is sunlight through a large lattice not in view.

I don't see that one really blows the other out of the water. There seems to be a little exposure difference that can't be attributed to the zoom. I left the exposure and focus on auto. Probably should have done everything in manual to eliminate variables. The manual shot is a little sharper but that could just be the auto-focus.

Manual zoom resized:

Digital zoom:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 4:22 PM   #13

boyzo wrote:
Quote:
Stoney79 wrote:
Quote:
Have a look at this thread. I posted some test photos there. Photo-Paint resizing is the clear winner against the FZ3 digital zoom. With Photoshop the results should be similar.
I think you miss my point with due respect.

It's not a case of PP versus camera proccessing its the fact you need to FRAME it right in the EVF even if digital zoom is needed .... bad framing can't be compensated by PP cropping later in all instances ...
The position and relationship of the main subjects are important you need to get it right in the viewfinder (EVF) even if digital zoom is needed.
PP cropping has limits it cant always work in getting the best compostion.
Its not just PP versus in camera PP pixell thing... its the composition the story the mood of the image NOT pixell perfection.
What I am alluding to and Only Nancy and I agree the scene or subject should be framed finished and composed in the viewfinder at the time so if a little digital zoom is needed use it ... with respect for light conditions and camera shake.
To shoot this way is good discipline.... this is taught to pros.

But YES You can zoom and crop in PS agreed np

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:58 PM   #14

boyzo wrote:
Quote:
What I am alluding to and Only Nancy and I agree the scene or subject should be framed finished and composed in the viewfinder at the time so if a little digital zoom is needed use it ... with respect for light conditions and camera shake.
To shoot this way is good discipline.... this is taught to pros.
Ok. My opinion is that only the result counts. If the picture gets better with some cropping, thenI crop it. If resizing the picture with softwareresults in more sharpness compared to digital zoom pictures, then I resize it with software instead of usingthe digital zoom. As simple as that.

Of courseit is better not to crop as long as we are in the range of the optical zoom, but 420mm/432mm is all thatthe lens can do. What goes beyond cannot improve the picture, so I don't use it.
Stoney79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 3:46 AM   #15

See also this link:

http://www.feather30.fsnet.co.uk/digizoom/
Gijsbert is offline   Reply With Quote