Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:29 PM   #1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...92516&rd=1

USD$539

I know I want a Lumix FZ5 or FZ20 but I think I'm going for the FZ5 due to its size - chomping at the bit until it appears 'round here!
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:58 PM   #2

...first one I've seen for sale. Post some pics when you get it!
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:39 AM   #3

Thanks for the heads-up and welcome to the forum, Colleen. I noticed for the first timein reading the fz5 description on the ebay link that the fz5 has: "Auto angle detection, another new feature, records whether an image was taken horizontally or vertically. This ensures that when playing back on the LCD monitor and displaying images on your TV by connecting your LUMIX with an AV cable, vertical images are automatically displayed vertically and horizontal images are automatically displayed horizontally." This is a very nice feature indeed. It is covered on pages 33 and 85 of the fz5 manual whichcan bedownloaded (8mb pdf) at http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCFZ5PP.PDF

- Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 11:30 AM   #4

Thank you for the welcome! Been lurking here since after Christmas and finally decided to register.

I was on an intense digital camera hunt after I realized how inadequite my daughter's Canon SD200 was for my needs[wants!]- but it's a good camera to learn on and takes nice pics of people within the 3X range. Anyhow, you guys on the Panasonic forum are great with your know how, tips and pictures! Once I knew I wanted more zoom it narrowed down the search considerably, read the threads here and on Canon and had to decide between the Canon SI and the FZ3 since I wanted the zoom stability (which knocked out Olympus)... very few complaints about the panasonic brands! I read the enthusiasticcomments about the FZ20, saw the beautiful photos it's capable ofand thought I'd go with that one but then the news and comments about the FZ5 came out....

For me, although the FZ5 seems to be a step down from the FZ20 the size really matters. I'd be more inclined to take the smaller camera with me. CC has the FZ3 for about $320 or so ($70 inrebates) but the 2 extra pixels and the friendly positioning of the controls on the FZ5 interest me. I sometimes like to crop especially sports photos and having the more pixels is handy for that.

Anyhow, I'm busy learning digital lingo, I've downloaded the FZ5 manual (120 pages!) and I'm perusing that slowly but surely (not easy to do when you don't actually have the camera!)

I'd scoff up the e-bay FZ5 but I'm leary of purchasing a new model of anything since there's no guarantee of a warranty and where would you take it if it was defective?

I'm so excited I can hardly wait until April! ---> 'acourse then the newer models will come out this summer/fall and I'll wish I had waited until then! What a world we live in! Too much choice!

Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:40 PM   #5

You might want to consider pre-ordering the fz5 from amazon. $500 w/ free shipping. They are indicating expected ship/delivery date around April 22.Obviously, you can cancel that order anytime before it's shipped if you find a better deal or just chicken out. They have a 30 penalty-free return policy that cant be beat. That's what I've done.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 2:24 PM   #6

That's what I'll probably do as well. Who knows if CC or BB will have it in stock when it comes out and the camera stores around here can't match prices as well as the online big boys. I like Amazon, I do a lot of business with them.

Hard to pre order an item for $500 w/o holding it in your hands but from the posts here I have every confidence that any of the FZ's will be great sight unseen.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 2:27 PM   #7

I think I'd wait to see a few reviews before you jump. $500 is a lot of $$. You may be happier with some other combination of FZ and add-ons for the same $$. 2cents.
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:16 PM   #8

RedHouse wrote:
Quote:
$500 is a lot of $$. You may be happier with some other combination of FZ and add-ons for the same $$.
$500 is alot of money but not when you get a $1500-$2000 camera for it. But RedHouse alludes to a significant reality. To wit, be prepared to spend another $100-$200 on accessories. Battery, sd cards, uv filter, macro lens, tele converter, etc.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:46 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies... I guess the rub is, if you want 5 MP and a 12X zoom you gotta spend the $500 either on the FZ20 or the FZ5. But still, at the minimum, you do have to come up with at least another $100 for the extra battery and a decent memory card.

>>>>...uv filter, macro lens, tele converter...<<<<

I also want one of those lightdiffusers eventually, I think. Should I get a UV filter right away? Not sure what you'd use it for? The lenses I think can wait for a bit until I know what I'm doing and what I want to use the camera for. What's a 'tele converter'? Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:35 AM   #10

The fz5 (and all smaller fz's) comes witha hood adapter that is also a tube adapter that accepts 55mm add-on lenses. Many users (myself included) leave the tube adapter on at all times with a 55mm uv filter (~$25) attached for lens and extension housing protection from dust, fingerprints, scratches, etc. The adapter is about 3cm long - just long enough to allow the lens to extend without hitting the filter. The uv filter has no noticeable affect on color, exposure, etc. (At higher altitudes there may be some differences.)

Reother lens: The macro capability of the fz series is limited to the lower zoom range. In macro mode (or in A or S or M) focus can be obtained as close as 1-2cm from the subject. At about 3x zoom that distance suddely increases to such an extent (maybe 2 feet) as to render the macro functionality useless. The simple addition of a macro lens will correct that and give you macro capabilty throughout the zoom range as well as increased magnification. (See http://www.ishots.net/fz1-2faq/fz1macros.htm Info there pertains to all the fz cameras.) Among the most popular macro lens are the nikon 4t (52mm), 6t (62mm), and olympus b-macro (55mm).All are +3 diopter dual element lens of equal quality and work verynicely with the fz series. The b-macro is the only one with 55mm threads and is also more expensive than the others (~$80). The 4t is quite sufficient (~$40)but will require a 55mm-52mm step down ring (~$10) to fit the fz5 adapter. This setup works just aswell as the b-macro with no step ring. A tele converter extends the fz zoom by the power of the tele lens. Popular tele converters (or tcons)include the canon tl55 (1.45x) and the oly tcon17 (1.7x) and c210 (1.9x). Thetl55 and tcon17 are both 55mm (~$90). The c210, though more powerful then the others, is not as good a quality lens but is considerably less expensive ($40) and really does a very nice job considering its price. The c210 has 52mm threads. So, if one were to purchase the nikon 4t along with a 55-52mm step ring, the addition of the c210 would make a very nice macro/tele package for the fz5 at under $100.