Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:12 AM   #1

Hey hey,

Upon going through the rest of my Gates photos, the jokes I madeabout selling photos to tourists got me thinking.....

Does anyone on here sell their photos taken with an FZ?

As stock photos, gallery, etc...

and... where do you print off larger sizes? 5x7, 8x10, 16x20? I tried some at one of the Kodak kiosk things in a camera shop and wasn't all that happy with the results. Any recommendations?

Just curious. THANKS!
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:33 AM   #2

great question, smilez. I don't know about selling photos, I wonder myself because there is a noticeable difference between an FZ20 shot and a dslr, usually. As far as blowing up your prints, the best solution (and I have tested out many places) is shutterfly. Upload your photo (after setting up a free account with them), and choose your size. I blew up a shot from a 2.1 megapixel Olympus to 20X30 (their largest size) and it looked like a print from a 35mm negative. I don't know how they did it. My assumtion is that they use a program like genuine fractals, or whatever is out now. But the pic looked phenomenal. I actually had it professionally framed, and every person who sees it compliments me on it. If you have any problems with the site, let me know, you can PM me. I have made photo books from them, calenders and mouse pads. They make great gifts and the quality is really professional. I have given stuff to my clients on a professional level (I deal with art directors, graphic designers, etc.) and I know they like it b/c when I go to their offices they are using the mouse pad, and the calenders. And no I don't work for the company. I find they do an amazing job with skin tones, I think b/c they use fuji paper and Ofoto uses Kodak. I am not crazy with Ofoto, but they are comparable in quality. I think both places offer free prints when you sign on so you can upload the same pics to both and when you get them back, you can compare (that's what I did). I liked shutterfly better. And definitely if you are going beyond 11X14 go with shutterfly, esp for people photos, if it is scenic, you might wanna try both. Hope this helps.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 2:01 AM   #3

Thanks -- shutterfly was recommended by a friend of mine.

Have you found any placesin/around NYCthat will print like shutterfly?

Old Mar 7, 2005, 2:19 AM   #4

You know, believe it or not, I haven't looked, yet. Back when film photography was what I shot (mid to late 90's) people always recommended Flat Iron, which was right across from the old B&H photo on 17th btw 6th and 7th. But I don't even know if they are in business. Duggal used to be the big "pros" developer, but once again I have no idea. I prefer shutterfly, or the uploading it and having it mailed being that I work nights and it saves me a trip. The downside is that if the exposure is off, it is a pain to ship it back to Shutterfly. It only happened to me once. And I have about 30,000 pics on the Shutterfly server, and it is free. I kept waiting for the e-mail telling me that I need to delete some of my albums, but they never do. So that is how I share my photos also, you create an album for sharing and choose the photos and then just send it. Shutterfly gives you an address book and everything. Whoever owns that company thought about "the big picture" from day one. And as long as the images are as excellent as ever, I will give them all of my business!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:13 AM   #5

Thanks Nancy, i'm going to do some more research for local stores, but I'm going to give shutterfly a try. Ive got a couple I'd like to blow up and frame as presents -- and if they dont like my photography, at least they'll get a nice frame to reuse!!!
Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:00 PM   #6

We make photographic greetings cards for a local bookshop. (Actually I am a partner in the bookshop...)

People like to have local scenes and local buildings on greetings cards. It's not high art, but I guess it is a kind of art...
alandavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:22 PM   #7

smilez03 wrote:
Quote:
Hey hey,

Upon going through the rest of my Gates photos, the jokes I madeabout selling photos to tourists got me thinking.....

Does anyone on here sell their photos taken with an FZ?

As stock photos, gallery, etc...

and... where do you print off larger sizes? 5x7, 8x10, 16x20? I tried some at one of the Kodak kiosk things in a camera shop and wasn't all that happy with the results. Any recommendations?

Just curious. THANKS!
It was not my purpose but I have sold 3 pictures on Smugmug.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:06 AM   #8

Its actually a very interesting question and I hope a few people do sell their FZ pics - it would be an awesome way to try finance more camera equipment.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:00 PM   #9

Smilez03: I have sold pix using 35mm but have not had my digital FZ15K long enough to get enough good pix to try. Have sold both prints and stock and to magazines. This all is very difficult and time consuming. But don't give up. As for prints. I had an FZ1/2 and was told that you could not get large prints from it. I use www.EZPrints.com. It is a super place, using Fuji Pearl paper, fast and do not charge you an arm and leg for either the prints or the postage. You upload your photo to them and most times they have it coming back to you the next day via mail. I looked at my prints 11"x14" when it came back and put them beside the 35mm scanned prints and I could not tell the difference. I have won awards with both. You may want to give them a shot. I have not had a print made from the FZ15K yet as I have not made a very good pix from it. But maybe this weekend is THE weekend?
BigTBird is offline   Reply With Quote