Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:22 PM   #1

Hi, all.

Relatively new to the digital world and on the verge of buying a FZ20. Probably.

I saw a live one today at a dealer's and was absolutely surprised to see how MINUSCULE the viewfinder is! I couldn't believe my eyes!!!

I was only able to look through the VF for a few minutes, since the battery was almost exhausted. It looked... OK... but I really have my doubts. I tried the pre-focusing (or whatever you call it when you half-depress the shutter release) and I could see that something was happening, but I couldn't tell if the picture was IN focus or not...

In real life, is the viewfinder useable? Or do most people use the display on the back? (Although I can't imagine keeping a camera steady at arm's length!)

Thanks for your comments!
MLukaHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:35 PM   #2

i use the EVF almost exclusively on my FZ20, and have no problem. the diopter adjustment is a big help! it's not really all that much smaller than the optical viewfinder on my old Pentax 35mm SLR, and certainly not small enough to be a problem...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:51 PM   #3

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
i use the EVF almost exclusively on my FZ20, and have no problem. the diopter adjustment is a big help! it's not really all that much smaller than the optical viewfinder on my old Pentax 35mm SLR, and certainly not small enough to be a problem...
Never use the back LCD. Correction I use it at the end of a shoot to see my work.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 11:13 PM   #4

The viewfinder eyepiece seemed small when first seeing the camera. That impression can vanish quickly. The back's LCD is mostly used to format the SD card after uploading photos. Related to your question, making as many photos per day as possible, a month later mastering manual focus is illusive. It seems the camera can often do better in AF. Taking more shots makes up for most of the problem. The focus assist is kinda rough in low light, not enough resolution, even with the manual focus assist which is an enlarged rectangle blowing up the central portion of the frame. As I try to learn full manual exposure and focus, the program mode often does better. Focus is the one concern I have so far. Still, the FZ20PPK has been totally excellent. Back into photography after many years I'm now enjoying it far more than anticipated. This camera is highly addictive. It makes photography exciting. Look into the FZ20 from comparator photos to those taken by FZs shown here and elsewhere, or best of all try one. You have 14 whole days with Circuit City, who have been known to make some exceptional deals with a little help from a manager and a good story. I flat love mine. You would need a DSLR and all the lenses, $, bulk and weight that entails to beat it in overall performance, and that would primarily be capturing motion in low light. Remember, sometimes you do get what you need. Good hunting.
Tazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:21 AM   #5

I remember seeing Rezajune's set up and I think he puts a rubber screen over the viewfinder which should help. Maybe I am the only one in the forum but I have trouble looking thru my viewfinder and I exclusively use the LCD display. But my 6 year old niece uses my camera (she is very careful with it, and a great little photographer, I think a candidate for Mensa) and she always switches it to the viewfinder, but she is 6 and the viewfinder is small, IMHO. If she could type she would be on this forum giving advice, she knows the camera better than I, I will get a shot of her using it when I get my dslr.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 2:22 PM   #6

Hi!

I'm about to join the happy band of FZ owners and I have a question to do with the EVF.

I also find it difficult to look through the viewfinder with the "correct" eye. I find it easier when I view with the other eye in an offset position.

Would this affect my results? If so, I may also be using the LCD. :?
cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 8:20 PM   #7

cricket wrote:
Quote:
Hi!

I'm about to join the happy band of FZ owners and I have a question to do with the EVF.

I also find it difficult to look through the viewfinder with the "correct" eye. I find it easier when I view with the other eye in an offset position.

Would this affect my results? If so, I may also be using the LCD. :?
I never knew there was a correct eye. I'm left eye dominant so I always used my left eye.

mtritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:43 PM   #8

I use EVF in very brigth situations, and I have no any problem
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:36 AM   #9

I get a blinding headache everything I used the Viewfinder. I may have to start using LCD most of the time.But that would suck batttery juice faster.
myfz88 is offline   Reply With Quote