Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:30 PM   #11

msantos wrote:
Quote:
I had the same problem, so I took my scissors and cut the "obstructing" edges of the hood.

Now it looks like a "petal", but works good!!. It is not to deep, but works enough fine. (And it is the only rubber hood I get in my city after visiting ALL stores)

In looking at the picture you posted of this lens hood, I believe it would make quite a lovely chapeau. One would merely have to fasten a length - perhaps 8 or 9 inches, of fancy ribbon on either end of theopening that threads with the lens with apoxy or perhaps even velcro.

When worn, one would simply tie the ribbonsin abeautifulbow under your chin. Not only would you have a lovely fashionable chapeau, surely to be the envy of your particular social stratum, but your lens hood would no longer take up valuable space in your gear bag.
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:39 PM   #12

Here's one I use. Prevents toxic flaring.
Attached Images

RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:24 PM   #13

Goldar wrote:
Quote:
msantos wrote:
Quote:
I had the same problem, so I took my scissors and cut the "obstructing" edges of the hood.

Now it looks like a "petal", but works good!!. It is not to deep, but works enough fine. (And it is the only rubber hood I get in my city after visiting ALL stores)
Quote:

In looking at the picture you posted of this lens hood, I believe it would make quite a lovely chapeau. One would merely have to fasten a length - perhaps 8 or 9 inches, of fancy ribbon on either end of theopening that threads with the lens with apoxy or perhaps even velcro.

When worn, one would simply tie the ribbonsin abeautifulbow under your chin. Not only would you have a lovely fashionable chapeau, surely to be the envy of your particular social stratum, but your lens hood would no longer take up valuable space in your gear bag.
1-When outdoors, the lens hood is always on the camera and therefore does not pose a problem.

2- When I travel I have a soft-sided bag that measures 11 3/4 x 3 ½ x 7 ½. It is an old inconspicuous LeSporrtsac. In it, I store the FZ10 with charger, adapter and UV filter, the custom hood with a Tcon14B and a filter stack with a UV and Polarizer inside the hood, A Tcon07, a Nikon F3, a 1.4 mm Nikon lens, a flash light and a Casio EXS2 and charger. There is an external zipper pocket where a filter stack with a 62mm linear polarizer, two lens cloths an extra battery four and four SD cards.

The lens hood is the most important piece of gear, more inportants then filters.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Lens-Hoods.aspx

http://photography.about.com/od/basics/a/bplenshoods.htm

http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/lenshood.html

http://www.thenocturnes.com/nighttalk/messages/512.html

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 2:05 PM   #14

RedHouse wrote:
Quote:
Here's one I use. Prevents toxic flaring.
That seems like the best solution IMHO. It offers dual protection and everything! I do have afew of questions, however:

1. Is it multicoated?

2. Does it vignette at wide angle?

3. Can it withstand being pulled behind a truck?

These characteristics greatly influence my decision to purchase one. :?:O
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 2:15 PM   #15

Yes to all the above questions, plus it has EPA flocking inside:!::!:
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 2:18 PM   #16

RedHouse wrote:
Quote:

:G:G:G
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:02 PM   #17

RedHouse wrote:
Quote:

Too funny.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 8:07 PM   #18

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
The lens hood is the most important piece of gear, more inportants then filters.
All joking aside,yes, I do think it was a clever build. I wouldn't have even thought about getting a hood if it weren't for your past posts, and I do appreciate your suggestions. (I just couldn't resist the opportunity to poke fun.)

mtritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:49 PM   #19

mtritt wrote:
Quote:
LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
All joking aside,yes, I do think it was a clever build. I wouldn't have even thought about getting a hood if it weren't for your past posts, and I do appreciate your suggestions. (I just couldn't resist the opportunity to poke fun.)

I am a photographer and an equipment designer. I am weeks away from selling my new adapter that blows away the competition. At least that is my opinion. The deli container, which it was, is a research tool for my next project that will be a new lens hood. I cannot believe how superior the old flocking is at killing light bounce. I have a source for the flocking material being used by the government. The question is can be incorporated into a modern hood, be stable and cost effective to produce?
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote