Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 7, 2005, 10:00 PM   #1

Picked up an el-cheapo hood at the local Ritz today. Collapsible rubber and smallish in size. Yes, yes, yes, I know about the Hama hood (before anyone says anything about it), but this one was only $7 and not $30, so what the heck.

Anyway, here's the situation: When the hood is on and I'm zoomed out all the way, the corners of the picture are cut off by the hood because the hood is not wide enough. Once I zoom in to about the top of 1x, the vignetting is gone. Now, normally, I won't be taking many photos at full wide - most of what I take is zoomed in at least a little, so I don't really think this is an issue - or is it? Also, the hood extends about 1.25 inches. Is it pretty much worthless or will it do for the occasional beach shot until I can get my hands on something better? Would it be just as good to leave on the second half the phayee adapter instead and call it a day?

Thanks, all.

Merrill
mtritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2005, 10:48 PM   #2

mtritt wrote:
Quote:
Picked up an el-cheapo hood at the local Ritz today. Collapsible rubber and smallish in size. Yes, yes, yes, I know about the Hama hood (before anyone says anything about it), but this one was only $7 and not $30, so what the heck.

Anyway, here's the situation: When the hood is on and I'm zoomed out all the way, the corners of the picture are cut off by the hood because the hood is not wide enough. Once I zoom in to about the top of 1x, the vignetting is gone. Now, normally, I won't be taking many photos at full wide - most of what I take is zoomed in at least a little, so I don't really think this is an issue - or is it? Also, the hood extends about 1.25 inches. Is it pretty much worthless or will it do for the occasional beach shot until I can get my hands on something better? Would it be just as good to leave on the second half the phayee adapter instead and call it a day?

Thanks, all.

Merrill
That is for you to think about the Hama is almost 3 inches deep and can be used at all zoom settings.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:46 AM   #3

i have a clone of the Hama hood that i got on ebay for about $9... it still causes vignetting at full wide angle settings, unless you half-collapse the hood like they recommend. then it's fine. and, as you mention, if you seldom use the wide settings, you won't really have much of a problem... certainly not worth fussing with. as for the front half of the Phayee adapter, don't bother. it won't cause vignetting, but it's nowhere near deep enough to be of any appreciable use as a lens hood, either.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:14 AM   #4

I had the same problem, so I took my scissors and cut the "obstructing" edges of the hood.

Now it looks like a "petal", but works good!!. It is not to deep, but works enough fine. (And it is the only rubber hood I get in my city after visiting ALL stores)
Attached Images

msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:38 AM   #5

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
i have a clone of the Hama hood that i got on ebay for about $9... it still causes vignetting at full wide angle settings, unless you half-collapse the hood like they recommend. then it's fine. and, as you mention, if you seldom use the wide settings, you won't really have much of a problem... certainly not worth fussing with. as for the front half of the Phayee adapter, don't bother. it won't cause vignetting, but it's nowhere near deep enough to be of any appreciable use as a lens hood, either.
This is my custom hood i use it outdoors all the time. it gives 100% protection for the leica and 80% for my Tcon14B.

Old Mar 8, 2005, 7:31 AM   #6

msantos wrote:
Quote:
I had the same problem, so I took my scissors and cut the "obstructing" edges of the hood.

Now it looks like a "petal", but works good!!. It is not to deep, but works enough fine. (And it is the only rubber hood I get in my city after visiting ALL stores)
You know, I was thinking of doing the same thing, but didn't want to kill $7 unless I knew that it was worth it to do it. Glad to know that someone else out there had the same problem and took justice into his own hands.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 7:52 AM   #7

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
This is my custom hood i use it outdoors all the time. it gives 100% protection for the leica and 80% for my Tcon14B.

Squirel, good info. I'll take a look online to see what I find. For the meantime, I may get out the ol' scissors as msants suggested or just take the hood off if for some reason I want to go full wide.

Lovelife - A very good idea, but the only place I would be able to carry that thing is on my head - and then my head would smell like cole slaw. Now, if you could build a collapsible deli tub, then I'd have to seriously consider it.

Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:42 AM   #8

mtritt wrote:
Quote:
Lovelife - A very good idea, but the only place I would be able to carry that thing is on my head - and then my head would smell like cole slaw. Now, if you could build a collapsible deli tub, then I'd have to seriously consider it.
LOL!!! Good one mtritt!
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:51 AM   #9

JEDinNC wrote:
Quote:
mtritt wrote:
Quote:
LOL!!! Good one mtritt!
Not to laugh the inside is lined with photographic

flocking used by NASA.

Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:55 AM   #10

Wasn't laughing at your hood, only his comments :blah:

JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote