Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 8, 2005, 6:30 AM   #1

Here's a couple of test shots, one taken with the FZ20 internal flash and the other with my $2.70 investment in a Sunpak 2000 BZ external unit.

I'm surprised how little difference there is between them -- the internal seems to acquit itself quite well, much more powerful than any other internal I've used.

The fence in the background would be about 45-50 feet away.
Attached Images

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2005, 6:31 AM   #2

'
Attached Images

Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:37 PM   #3

You can not expect a lot for a $2.70 toy !!:blah:
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 5:53 AM   #4

Here's two more from the same place -- this time with another cheap toy (Miranda 930 TCD) attached to the FZ20.

I don't know how old this one is -- Miranda haven't made cameras since the '70's, I think they turned out accessories for a while after that -- but with a bit of a cleanup it worked fine on the FZ, and also works in TTL mode on my Nikon SLR (also is switchable for Canon, Ricoh and others which I forget.)

It has ASA settings from 25 to 1000, swivel and tilt head with stops every 15 degrees and a switchable secondary fill flash -- all controls are sliders, no buttons, so it's been around a while.

Recovery time seems to be about a second or less.
Attached Images

Old Mar 9, 2005, 5:54 AM   #5

'
Attached Images

Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:30 PM   #6

Both flashes seems to pull a lot more detail our of areas like the branches on the further back tree. The internal seems to spotlight the bush in the middle. The Miranda illuminates the best out of the lot.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:19 PM   #7

Are you testing the trigger voltages on these flashes? You could fry your camera:shock::shock::shock:
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Are you testing the trigger voltages on these flashes? You could fry your camera
Sure am -- I've known of that one for years and besides, the Panasonic manual gives you clear warning (but then, who reads those...)

The Miranda (a fairly powerful and quite fast unit, BTW) triggers at 6.8V, the Sunpak somewhat less.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 5:45 AM   #9

Hi Idle,
Whilest doing a search for Miranda 930 flash guns this post came up!
You seem to know a bit about them, can you tell me what the little buttons under the perspex cover do on this flash if you still have it around? I am suspecting that it is the switchable feature for different cameras that you mention?!!
Also is the trigger Voltage dangerous to use on something like Nikon D100 do you know?
This may be too long ago but if you know anything about this gun it would be useful to find out. Many thanks, Brian
briancp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 7:54 AM   #10

I agree with pshooley1. I can see quite a bit of difference in the first two shots. The sunpak brings more detail in the high lighted areas and the Miranda did even better....................Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote