Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:17 PM   #11

nooner wrote:
Quote:
On the FZ1 the display switch toggles between the EVF/LCD. There aren't any display options like the FZ20. PS. You're flash rig looks pretty heavy.
It adds about 3 pounds but it's suprisingly easy to handle.. Especially with the FZ. Definately not a 1 handed rig though and probably not for the every day user.. The last camera I used it with was a Hasselbald 553ELX which is a tank in itself... It's all too much fun...

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:19 PM   #12

Goldar wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:
My main issue with the FZ5 is the lack of a hot shoe. I use the external flash a lot. I am glad it doesn't have one since I bought my FZ20 just before the FZ5 was released and I would be bummed out if it was the same camera, only more compact.
I would never buy/not buy based on a hotshoe. I actuall prefer using an L-bracket. It's more stable, provides a better grip, and (most importantly) the flash is higher and further away from the lens (less incidence of red eye...). They fold to take-up no space in your gear bag. Use it either with a digital slaveflash (or unit), orPC Sync. I also am not envious of TTL. Simple, non-linkedauto-flash systemscan provide as much or moreconsistently accurate exposureas TTL once you learn how to use them and they becomes second nature. They're also less expensive.

I bought the Sunpak 433 from ebay for $30. It's a non-dedicated flash (dedicated for Nikon only), identical to the Sunpak 383. Less hassle than an L-bracket and much more powerful than the built-in flash, plus I like the swivel function for indirect lighting.

If you would never buy/not buy based on a hotshoe, that is your choice. I would and have.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:58 PM   #13

Very good to compare the FZ1 // FZ5 side by side.
I think the focus button on top toggle's shutter button focus ON / OFF very usefull.
Don't see f3.3 at 12x a problem at all

I think the next FZ30 or whatever will go that way ie 1/2 stop slower at 12Xzoom this is needed to retain FZ20 glass diameter and a larger sensor which the FZ30 will probably have with near and this is a guess 6-7 megapixells or even 8 who knows. ;-)

One thing with the FZ5 body being smaller and the LCD larger there is not as much area for the right hand thumb for gripping the camera.

An actual holding of the camera may be fine just my thoughts ... ergonomics is important is why the FZ1 is great to handle.

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 6:06 PM   #14

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
What is the does the focus button on the bottom do?? The one where the delete key is on the other FZ cameras.. Looks like they moved it from the top of the FZ1 to make way for the exposure button.. Also, I notice there's no EVF/LCD swtich button on the top.. How do you switch between them (on the FZ1) or are they both always active??
The focus/delete button on the fz5 activates focus lock in record mode and delete in playback. (With the fz1 it is only for delete.) The display button on the fz1 changes the display info as well asswitching between evf and lcd viewing. With the fz5 those functions are given seperate buttons; one for info display and one for evf/lcd viewing.The fz5 has added an exposure button. The fz1exposure compensation is controlled by the up arrow on the rocker wheel.

boyzo wrote:
Quote:
One thing with the FZ5 body being smaller and the LCD larger there is not as much area for the right hand thumb for gripping the camera.

An actual holding of the camera may be fine just my thoughts ... ergonomics is important is why the FZ1 is great to handle.
Agree, John. The fz1 falls perfectly into my hand(s). That half inch or so loss in widthwill take some getting used to.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 6:21 PM   #15

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
The focus/delete button on the fz5 activates focus lock in record mode and delete in playback.

This is what the Pana engineers are doing for not thinking of that one sooner -> :angry: Talks about overlooking the obvious.
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:31 AM   #16

What I like about the FZ5:
1)Faster AF
2)5 megapix
3)Shutter button shifted forward.

Not too worried about the max F3.3 on the FZ5, I did an experiment with my FZ1.Shooting 12x zoom tripod ,overcast day WB Auto,AP F3.3, the FZ1 gave a shutter speed of 1/1000, here's the pic unprocess,

First the wide angle shot

2nd 12x zoom

and here's the 100% crop

What I am concerned is the lack of the ED lens(FZ20 has ED) in the FZ5.Should I be picky about the ED lens?
myfz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:44 AM   #17

myfz88 wrote:
Quote:
What I am concerned is the lack of the ED lens(FZ20 has ED) in the FZ5.Should I be picky about the ED lens?
To answer my own question, the answer from Lumix website...

"The FZ20 uses ED (extra-low dispersion) glass in its lens, which helps minimize the refraction differences among light of different wavelengths.
This suppresses the color bleeding that often occurs in telephoto shots, giving you crisp, vivid images no matter how far you've zoomed in on your subject."
myfz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:55 AM   #18

I can't help but think the FZ20 would probably give better images overall considering ED and that the lens itself is bigger size wise also.
DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote