Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:18 AM   #1

Some comparison pics, fz1 on left:

Click pic for larger view.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:33 AM   #2

Love the size and design of these things. Thanks for the post. I find these cams kinda sexy. Got a centerfold? I know you're excited about it and it absolutely has some meaningful improvements, but the loss of nearly a stop at full tele is a real trade-off.
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:00 AM   #3

Goldar wrote:
Quote:
the loss of nearly a stop at full tele is a real trade-off.
There seems to be some confusion aboutwhat constitutes a full f stop, but I think the general consensus is that 2.8 to 4 is a full stop. If so, then 2.8 to 3.3 would be something less than half a stop. Nevertheless, I dont like to use full 12x zoom in cloudy, shaded , or indoor low lightconditions anyway. In bright light, I dont anticipate any problems with f3.3.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:20 PM   #4

fmoore wrote: If so, then 2.8 to 3.3 would be something less than half a stop.

That's correct. I thought its loss was greater than 3.3. Post some pics when it arrives. I'm sure you're countingthe days.

Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:15 PM   #5

Looks like a mini FZ20:arrow:
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:31 PM   #6

My main issue with the FZ5 is the lack of a hot shoe. I use the external flash a lot. I am glad it doesn't have one since I bought my FZ20 just before the FZ5 was released and I would be bummed out if it was the same camera, only more compact.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 2:06 PM   #7

I've read good things about the new autofocus but I would miss my manual focus on the FZ20 as well, I use that more than I thought I would.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 2:46 PM   #8

rduve wrote:
Quote:
My main issue with the FZ5 is the lack of a hot shoe. I use the external flash a lot. I am glad it doesn't have one since I bought my FZ20 just before the FZ5 was released and I would be bummed out if it was the same camera, only more compact.
I would never buy/not buy based on a hotshoe. I actuall prefer using an L-bracket. It's more stable, provides a better grip, and (most importantly) the flash is higher and further away from the lens (less incidence of red eye...). They fold to take-up no space in your gear bag. Use it either with a digital slaveflash(or unit), orPC Sync. I also am not envious of TTL. Simple, non-linkedauto-flash systemscan provide as much or moreconsistently accurate exposureas TTL once you learn how to use them and they becomes second nature. They're also less expensive.

Old Mar 8, 2005, 4:16 PM   #9

Goldar wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:
I would never buy/not buy based on a hotshoe. I actuall prefer using an L-bracket. It's more stable, provides a better grip, and (most importantly) the flash is higher and further away from the lens (less incidence of red eye...). They fold to take-up no space in your gear bag. Use it either with a digital slave flash (or unit), or PC Sync. I also am not envious of TTL. Simple, non-linked auto-flash systems can provide as much or more consistently accurate exposure as TTL once you learn how to use them and they becomes second nature. They're also less expensive.

That would depend on the flash you want to use.. Even then it's still useful to have a PC sync to plug the flash in.

Fred, From the looks of things, I hope you can read Japaneese.... :lol: What is the does the focus button on the bottom do?? The one where the delete key is on the other FZ cameras.. Looks like they moved it from the top of the FZ1 to make way for the exposure button.. Also, I notice there's no EVF/LCD swtich button on the top.. How do you switch between them (on the FZ1) or are they both always active??

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 4:35 PM   #10

On the FZ1 the display switch toggles between the EVF/LCD. There aren't any display options like the FZ20. PS. You're flash rig looks pretty heavy.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote