Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 8, 2005, 4:40 PM   #1

I would like a review and good description of the Tele Conversion Lens offered by Panasonic (the DMW-LTZ10). Is it made by Leica? Does it have threads on to add a UV lens? What makes it worth $500? Is there a tele converter lens out there that is a 2x?. Is is possible to have 2 tele converter lenses on the camera at once? How bad would the vignetting be? I like to take shots of birds and need a lot of zoom.

Here's my first photo using the Panasonic DMC-FZ20.

Thanks, Nicky
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2005, 6:30 PM   #2

Nicky Davis wrote:
Quote:
¬*I would like a review and good description of the Tele Conversion Lens offered by Panasonic (the DMW-LTZ10).¬* Is it made by Leica? Does it have threads on to add a UV lens?¬* What makes it worth $500?¬* Is there a tele converter lens out there that is¬* a 2x?.¬* Is is possible to have 2 tele converter lenses on the camera at once? How bad would the vignetting be?¬* I like to take shots of birds and need a lot of zoom.

Thanks, Nicky
If you search this site there is a link to a good comparision review of teleconverters for the FZ's. I think it's done by Shene? Yes, here it is:
Try here, http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/
Try this link as well,

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...er+comparisons
Now,
I will do my best to answer your questions.
Is it made by lieca? No, I don't believe so.
Does it have threads on the front to add a UV? No. There are no threads on the front at all.
What make it worth $500? That is subjective and up to the user to decide. I paid $430 for mine. For me it was worth every penny. Even though it is not made by Lieca it is a high quality lens capable of allow f2.8 apreture throughout the entire zoom range. If you would like to see some examples of what this lens will do feel free to visit the following link. There are 60 pictures there all taken with the FZ20. About half of them taken with the Panasonic 1.5x Teleconverter.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y28/smac_55/

Is there a 2x Teleconverter? Yes, Raynox makes a 2.5x teleconverter. However you will not get the same amount of light through that teleconverter. And IMO the optics are not nearly as good. They are OK. Again this is pretty subjective from person to person.
As for your last two questions I would have to say that adding two teleconverters would probably not be a good idea. For one thing it would be very doubtful it the OIS system could function under that extreme situation. Plus I would think the vignetting would be impossible. anyway the lack of front end threads would make it impossible to couple the Panasonic lens with anything else.
I hope I have been of some help. Good luck in your decision. I also primarily shoot birds and nature and I have been extremely happy with my choice. Take a look at my gallery and let me know what you think. Finally, I would say that for me there is never enough telephoto power. However, based on cost to preformance, this combination comes pretty close to perfect for me.

Good luck, and best wishes,
Steve

Nice picture of the Junco. That's a great start for a first picture. Great camera, isn't it?
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 2:13 AM   #3

nice shot, great tones
Gazza-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:04 PM   #4

I also bought the Panasonic for $430.00. I do not regret spending the extra $$ and the picture quality is outstanding.

An 86 mm UV filter with the threads sanded/turned off will slip in nicely. Add a little black tape and you won't even notice.
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote