Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:31 PM   #1

At the risk of being an alarmist, I noticed that the name on the lenses on the photos of the new LZ-1, LZ-2 and LS-1 is "Lumix" not "Leica." Does this mean the arrangement between Panasonic and Leica has changed? Will the lenses be the same quality as the "Leica" branded ones? Does anybody know?

Link to U.S. Panasonic - Lumix site:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...ital%20Cameras

Link to Lumix DMC LZ-1:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...fModel=DMC-LZ1

And BTW, how much of a Leica lens is the lens on my FZ-20 anyway? I know I don't know--but it sure takes great pictures!

I look forward to the thread.

Rob

robsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:12 AM   #2

The FZ lenses are made by a Panasonic (Matsushita) subsidiary "using Leica technology" and with a (licensed?) Leica name.

The LZ's & LS will probably have been made cheap to sell cheap, which doesn't necessarily mean the glass will be poor -- just that one of the cost cuts will be the Leica license fees.

Panasonic have been making good video camera lens' for the best part of quite some time -- digital still glassware is pretty much the same thing.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 6:47 AM   #3

1. As stated by Idle, it is a matter of debate regarding the authenticity of the "Leica" moniker on the lenses, same as "Carl Zeiss" one the Sony's. This is an article regarding the Leica/Panasonic relationship from an Australian photo mag: http://australianit.news.com.au/arti...nbv%5E,00.html.
Panasonic manufactures the lens on their cameras, they're not provided by Leica.

2. It is also open to debate regarding how important the glass really is on a digicam. 35mm film stock = (something like) 20(?) megapixels in resolution, so lenses of high resolution are requred to match the resolution capabilities of the film. Compare this to a 3, 4, 5... megapixel digital camera.

3. Panasonic is a big supplier of optical glass for business and consumer products and have a huge facility in Yamagata, Japan. They ain't exactly new at this...

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 8:19 AM   #4

My guess is Panasonic paid a Leica cook for the recipe;
ie. calculations for the lens, coating on the lens etc.Panasonic did the cooking themselves- its not exactly nuclear physics. And the Leica cook said :" I want a percentage of every lens you sell"

Colonel Sanders(KFC) ring a bell?:G
myfz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:47 AM   #5

myfz88 wrote:
Quote:
My guess is Panasonic paid a Leica cook for the recipe;
ie. calculations for the lens, coating on the lens etc.Panasonic did the cooking themselves- its not exactly nuclear physics. And the Leica cook said :" I want a percentage of every lens you sell"

Colonel Sanders(KFC) ring a bell?:G

Leica lenses made in Germany (or elsewhere) cost thousands of dollars, as do their camera. Leicafiles will disagree, but I'm afraid that mass production has caught up to the Zeisses and Leicas of the world,and any quality gain is a true case of "diminishing returns", and any look that's specific to Leica glass I can emulate inPhotoshop. Leica got to be Leica through innovation and quality. They maintained their quality, but fell short on the "innovation" side of the equasion. Why weren't they at the forefront of digital with a high-quality digital rangefinder? Maybe even one that the average guy could afford? Instead, they "got fat" and milked the rangefinder thing in the consumer markets, anyway.

That said,Leica made andcontinue to make top of the line optics and cameras. Out of my price range, andit's been questionable since the 60's if a Leica M-series, outstanding camera though they may be, is athousand or two dollars"better than" a Canon QL Canonetterangefinder.
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote