Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 9, 2005, 1:24 PM   #11

JEDinNC wrote:
Quote:
Don't have enough experiene to offer suggestions but I would enjoy seeing your results!
Which results the Wcon or the hood on head?
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 1:28 PM   #12

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
You are in 'Bama.

So is Kalypso, a forum member hereof no small renown.

You may want to PM him. Perhaps he can assist with some suggestions.

FYI, if you have the Pemerall adapter (62mm) the Olympus Wcon-08 would be great wide angle for this shoot w/your FZ20.
Thanks for the suggestion re: Kalypso.

I have the Phayee adapter and no WA lens so I'm just going to have to make do with that setup.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 1:28 PM   #13

digcamfan wrote:
Quote:
You are in 'Bama.

So is Kalypso, a forum member hereof no small renown.

You may want to PM him. Perhaps he can assist with some suggestions.

FYI, if you have the Pemerall adapter (62mm) the Olympus Wcon-08 would be great wide angle for this shoot w/your FZ20.
Not a bad Idea if you back up into a wall. Just keep the angle perpendicular to your subjects and shoot only at 1X.

Old Mar 9, 2005, 1:30 PM   #14

I like this new "fun" side of lovelife:-)
DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 1:43 PM   #15

DynamoHum wrote:
Quote:
I like this new "fun" side of lovelife:-)
Yes, but do you like my camera side, and will you like me in the morning?
Old Mar 9, 2005, 2:07 PM   #16

The largest crop you can get from a 5Mp frame gives 85 PPI in a 20 X 30. You get 120 PPI from the best crop you can get for a 16 X 20. You might want to reconsider going all the way to 20 X 30 as 85 PPI isn't very good. 120 PPI might be acceptable for a large print that is viewed from a distance. There are some things you can do in an image editor to help a little, but you still aren't going to get all the detail you want – especially for a 20 X 30.

Make up your mind before you shoot what sizes you want. You lose some off the bottom and or top with a 20 X 30 and some off the ends for a 16 X 20. The last thing you want to do is to have to crop more than is necessary to get everyone in the picture. Think only in terms or the large print as that is where your pixels are critical. Pose everyone with the space available so you don't have to crop any more than necessary.

I agree with pschooley1 that you don't want to do any learning on the job with 30 people posed for a picture. Have a plan for where you want everyone and take some practice shots onsite.

If I were looking to end up with a 20 X 30 I would use one of two approaches. First I would likely pull out my old 35mm SLR. There is a little more information on fine grained film and the 3:2 format requires less cropping for a 20 X 30. Medium or large format would be even better. If you don't have a decent film camera you might call around to see who is attending who might have one. You would get a better 20 X 30 with a super fine-grained film like Provia, but professional slide film doesn't have the exposure latitude of consumer film. Since you don't get the instant feedback you get with digital you are better off with the finest grained consumer film you can get IMO.

If I were going to use the FZ20 I would get a sync cord adapter for the hot shoe and a bracket for the flash. Then I would shoot with the camera vertical and take several series of 3 panorama shots. You will end up with enough pixels to make a decent 20 X 30 after you stitch them. And you can mix and match to get everyone with a good expression. People have to be posed so you don't have to stitch through someone's face.

If you want to do it with a single shot from a FZ20 I would think in terms of a 16 X 20 for your mom. You have to plan it for the large print as the grouping would be different for a 16 X 20 compared to a 20 X 30. Here are examples of a 16 X 20 and 20 X 30 cropped from a standard 3:4 digital frame.

16 X 20

20 X 30

You obviously have to leave some space on the sides for the 16 X 20 and not fill the frame vertically for a 20 X 30.

I chose this shot because of the expression on the boy's face. It was the third shot I took of the group and I violated my rule for portraits and took time to tweak the zoom on this one. Watch a pro shoot a group. When he says "say cheese" or "smile" the flash fires almost immediately. With 30 people I can guarantee closed eyes or dumb expressions if you aren't ready to immediately take the picture after you tell everyone to smile.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 2:28 PM   #17

You can use interpolation tools to get the size you need to come out fine with the FZ20. You view a 16x20 from a distance so it's different than smaller sizes when viewing. As far stitching, I think that is a lame idea and would probably turn out to be a nightmare. 2cents.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 3:18 PM   #18

Quote:
As far stitching, I think that is a lame idea and would probably turn out to be a nightmare.
You are probably right with that large a group. I have used it for smaller groups – not to get more pixels for a giant blow-up but to compensate for not having a wide angle lens in a limited space. It works fine, but it would be a bear to get 30 people lined up so you don't have to stitch through a face.

I'm just trying to come up with some way you could generate a 20 X 30 from a 5Mp digicam image. Interpolation can give you any resolution you want, but it still looks about the same as it did before you interpolated. With extremely low resolutions it can smooth out the print a little, but it doesn't add any detail and everything still looks fuzzy and a little lumpy.

If you read beernutz's original post he is thinking of a 20 X 30 print, not a 16 X 20. 85PPI isn't enough for a good print regardless of whether you interpolate up to a higher resolution. It is true that the larger the print the greater the viewing distance, but with a group of 30 people you are a lot more likely to look closely to see individuals.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 3:24 PM   #19

Everyone has an opinion. Yours makes some sense, but I think you're a little off about interpolation.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 3:32 PM   #20

LoveLife wrote:
Quote:
JEDinNC wrote:
Quote:
Don't have enough experiene to offer suggestions but I would enjoy seeing your results!
Which results the Wcon or the hood on head?

LOL, Actually, the final results of his work, but the hood onhis head would be worthwhile as well!! :G

JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote