Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:56 AM   #1

I would like to surprise my family by taking a large family portrait this Easter and have it blown up to 20x30 and framed as a gift to my mom with 8x10s made for each family as a gift. I expect there will be close to 30 people in the shot and I would also expect it will be indoors in a high ceilinged room. I have a tripod (old velbon) and a Sunpak 422D with a Lightsphere II diffuser that I plan on using with my FZ-20.

Does anyone have any tips on organizing and shooting this beast? Any help at all is much appreciated.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2005, 8:01 AM   #2

beernutz wrote:
Quote:
I would like to surprise my family by taking a large family portrait this Easter and have it blown up to 20x30 and framed as a gift to my mom with 8x10s made for each family as a gift. I expect there will be close to 30 people in the shot and I would also expect it will be indoors in a high ceilinged room. I have a tripod (old velbon) and a Sunpak 422D with a Lightsphere II diffuser that I plan on using with my FZ-20.

Does anyone have any tips on organizing and shooting this beast? Any help at all is much appreciated.
Soften them up with booze and form them in a semicircle. Have them as different heights on chairs floor. Have some at 20-degree angle to camera. In addition, wear my lens hood.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 8:19 AM   #3

Just found these tips on Google:

http://members.shaw.ca/dorisfed/wedd...photo_tips.htm

http://www.surfwiz.com/photo-tips.htm

"MORE LIGHT - When you want to add light to make your final print or slide look lighter, use the following rule: WHEN YOU WANT MORE SUN MOVE TOWARDS ONE. This rule applies to the camera numbers that affect the aperture. shutter speed, and film speed. If you have willing subjects you can try taking rnore formal pictures. Pose your subjects in a well planned group, rather than having them all standing in a line. Seat two or three people and have the others stand around them with their hands on the seated subjects shoulders. Keep your subjects close to avoid large open areas. If you have a large group you can fill in spots with people kneeling in front. Avoid posing very tall people behind seated or kneeling subjects because this will create an unbalanced looking photo. A good rule is to arrange the group like a pyramid filling in the center with faces. This is effective for groups of three up to much larger groups.

When photographing a small family group, have the parents sit on the ground with their legs bent and facing towards the outside of the frame. Pose one child behind and between the parents while the other child sits in front of one parents legs. If you have more children to get into the photo, try to keep the pyramid rule in mind."

This one is also pretty good:

http://home.att.net/~alnem/html/tip-wedding.html

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:02 AM   #4

Test shoot the room, this sounds like an application where a wide-angle lens might be useful. Experiment with the lighting, I got a second flash with a remote sensor with this scenario in mind - a single flash, even with your diffuser, might not do as well as having a second remote flash.

Good luck getting evertone to say "CHEEZE!"
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:29 AM   #5

Thanks all, that is helpful. Lovelife I'm going to use my Hama hood since AFAIK yours is unavailable to the general public.

Here is one I found while searching on the web. It is a chapter out of a digital photography book by O'Reilly on tips for group shots.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/digph...apter/ch03.pdf
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:51 AM   #6

I think lovelife meant that YOU should wear his hood. Like on your head
DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:35 PM   #7

DynamoHum wrote:
Quote:

You were paying attention, how nice.

were paying attention, how nice.

:bye:
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:37 PM   #8

DynamoHum wrote:
Quote:
While doing that would probably keep everybody smiling during the shoot and also ably protect my head from falling boulders and such I am still faced with the problem that I don't actually have one of Lovelife's hoods. Perhaps my old megaphone would be a good sub?
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:47 PM   #9

You are in 'Bama.

So is Kalypso, a forum member hereof no small renown.

You may want to PM him. Perhaps he can assist with some suggestions.

FYI, if you have the Pemerall adapter (62mm) the Olympus Wcon-08 would be great wide angle for this shoot w/your FZ20.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:52 PM   #10

Don't have enough experiene to offer suggestions but I would enjoy seeing your results!
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote