Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 9, 2005, 7:00 AM   #1

I'm interested in when you are using your external flash (bouncing) for macros do you use the manual power ratio compensation to decrease the amount of light from the flash?
Becouse the flash I want to buy (Metz 36 c-2) haven't got this function.
On the Sunpak 383 has a manual compensation (full to 1/16).
http://www.adorama.com/MZ36C2.html
Thank you very much your answers!
Bali
callmebali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:57 AM   #2

If your flash have minimal output adjustments then you will have to resort to other methods to control light output.

The simple act of changing the angle of the flash head will reduce light to the field. However this is a bit unpredicatable and may remove too much light. You can also use diffusers (like the Stofen products) or reflectors (even a piece of paper works for some people). My experiences with these techniques were not satisfactory.

I have a Vivitar 285 and, while it has the vari-power adjuster, I have not always been satisfied with my results (even with the Stofen Omni-bounce). Depending on the f stop, I have good or bad results at lower power outputs (f2.8 has enough light, f 8.0 does not). I have just ordered the Varipower module for my Vivitar 283 (adjusts to 1/32).

I guess the bottom line is that for macro with flash it can be very advantageous to have precise control of the light output & I for one, have found an adjustable flash helpful - but I am still learning how to adjust my exposures.
pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:15 AM   #3

Thank you very much Pschooley 1!
callmebali is offline   Reply With Quote