Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 10, 2005, 11:25 AM   #1

I've got Raynox DCR-250 and Marumi close-up lens set (+1, +2, +4). I've seen a lot of brilliant macro shots of yours. I'd like to something similiar. So, shoud I buy Nikon 6T to achive your results or I can do it with my equipment?

Diprivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2005, 11:40 AM   #2

Your equipment is much stronger than the Nikon 6T or 4T (mine)......the minimunshooting distance on the Raynox 250 is almost 10 centimeters from the object.....and on the Nikon 4T is only 25 or 30 cms......you should stay with your Raynox and start enjoying macro-photgraphy......

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 1:18 PM   #3

I think he means minimum distance.
RedHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 2:42 PM   #4

RedHouse wrote:
Quote:
I think he means minimum distance.
It has been changed, thanks.....sorry, but my mother language is spanish and sometimes (many times) I make terrible mistakes....

Regards,

Old Mar 10, 2005, 4:36 PM   #5

Hi Diprivan,

I personally would stick with the setup you already have. Of course if you think the quality of your Marumi lens isnt very good then you may want to consider getting the Nikon as it is truly a superb lens. Macro stuff can be a little tricky to master so firstly I would take the time to learn the limits of your equipment and once you have reached the limit upgrade.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 5:16 PM   #6

Diprivan wrote:
Quote:
I've got Raynox DCR-250 and Marumi close-up lens set (+1, +2, +4). I've seen a lot of brilliant macro shots of yours. I'd like to something similiar. So, shoud I buy Nikon 6T to achive your results or I can do it with my equipment?
The +1, +2, +4 close-up sets consist of single element lens that give clear focus at the center but softer focus towards the edges. Dual element lens such as the nikon 4t and 6t (both +3 diopter) flatten the focus to the edges and are much superior to the single element lensand a little more expensive (4t is ~$40). The dcr250, being such a powerful macro lens (+8 diopter),has 3 elements to get clear focus to the edges. You can get great shots with the dcr250 at 6x zoom which is effectivley +4 diopter. Below 6x vignetting starts. The best macro lens for general use is one of the +3 diopter dual optics. They can be used throughout the zoom without vignetting.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 2:38 AM   #7

Thank you all guys for your replies and advicees.

It seems to me that to start learning the limits of DCR-250 and close-up Marumi lenses is a good idea and I already have started doing it. As reply to the topic I've posted on the Forum two of my test shots of a ring, which were taken with DCR-250. See it here (http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23)

Fmoore, your comment that vignetting with DCR-250 starts below 6x zoom is absolutly right. The first shot was taken at focus 24 mm (4x zoom). It's rather clear at the edges but in lower part of the shot the vignetting is very noticeable.

The second shot was taken at 72 mm focus (12x zoom) and has low DoF.

So, as I understand, if I"d like to shot some insects I must use zoom not more than 6x-8x. And 12x zoom may be used for shooting tiny objects (an eye of an insect). Am I right?

The second thing I've understood is that buying Marumi close-ups was my mistake. It's much better to have Nikon 6T. But since the autumn of 2004 up till now it's a problem to buy Nikon 6T in Moscow (I'm Russian).

Thank you all again. And sorry for my English.
Diprivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:24 AM   #8

Diprivan wrote:
Quote:
So, as I understand, if I"d like to shot some insects I must use zoom not more than 6x-8x. And 12x zoom may be used for shooting tiny objects (an eye of an insect). Am I right?

The second thing I've understood is that buying Marumi close-ups was my mistake. It's much better to have Nikon 6T. But since the autumn of 2004 up till now it's a problem to buy Nikon 6T in Moscow (I'm Russian).
Backing off on the zoom will increase the dof and get more of the insect in the shot and in focus.

Since you have the 52mm rt5264p adapter you would want to get the nikon 4t which is the same as the 6t. The only difference is the 4thas 52mm threads and the 6thas 62mm. Of course the 4t probably isn't any easier to get than the 6t in Moscow.

Here are some other possibilities:

1. Canon 500d. Dual element +3 diopter. Comes in different diameters including 52mm. (Note: Notthe canon 500 which is single element.)

2. Olympus b-macro or mcon40. Dual element +3 diopter. 55mm; requires 52-55mm step ring to use with rt5264p adapter.

3.Raynox dcr150 +4 diopter. Same set up as the dcr250.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:57 PM   #9

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
1. Canon 500d. Dual element +3 diopter. Comes in different diameters including 52mm. (Note: Notthe canon 500 which is single element.)
I guess,Canon 250D and 500D have the same diopter strenght = +4
Old Mar 11, 2005, 1:40 PM   #10

fz10_user wrote:
Quote:
I guess,Canon 250D and 500D have the same diopter strenght = +4
I thought they were both +3 but upon further investigation it appears the 500d is +2 diopter and the 250d is +4. This seems to be confirmed by their respective focal lengths; 500mm and 250mm. Diopter is defined as one divided by the focal length of the lens in meters.

[align=center]d=1/F[/align]

[align=left]Therefore, the 500d diopter poweris d=1/.5= +2 and the 250d diopter power is d=1/.25= +4[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Focal length is the focus distance or the distance to the subject at which you obtain focus. For the 500d that is 500mm or about 20 inches. For the 250d, 250mm or about 10 inches. The 4t and the 6t are 2.9 diopter, so their focus distance is F=1/2.9=.345m which is about 13.5 inches.[/align]