Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 10, 2005, 5:58 PM   #1

Has anyone ever used a neutral grey card like this one ?

http://www.jessops.com/search/viewpr...WORD_SEARCH=Y&

I'm just curious and wanted to know whether it's a useful to have.

Harj

:?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2005, 6:29 PM   #2

I am sometimes a sucker for gizmos and perhaps because of that Ihave the warmcards system for digital cameras (www.warmcards.com). I actually bought them after reading a post on dpreview where Dr. Shene discussed using them and said he did so frequently. The cards did include a 18% grey Kodak card but since I don't own photoshop I haven't tried it much. I have used the blue 1/2 card and it seems to give me the best (warmest) results. I'm not sure if I'd plunk down the $51 again if I had it to do over again, but I can't say the cards were a waste of money either. YMMV.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 7:05 PM   #3

Man. That link is WIDE:!: I don't think it's worth the investment. For most of us a simple white card will work OK.
DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 7:34 PM   #4

Harj
This is an 18% reflectance card, I still have a Kodak one.

Its used in studios or outdoors with a hand held light meter, I used the WESTON 5 with manual cameras and the grey card.

P&S cameras are based on the SCENE being same as the grey card often its a bit off. well bracketin that case.

You can meter the scene light with the FZ10 using the grey card to meter off ....this will be accurate for the light situation and you will avoid errors.

You can make a grey card in PS just create a solid grey area thats 18% reflectance and print it on a Photo Printer

Exposure is still a compromise at the best of times with contrasty lighting.

Solution is to combine 2 images 1 stop apart in PS.

I did use the Zone sytem with film development ....
With digital in PS combining 2 -3 bracketed images can do much the same ie it lets you create a final image from a very contrasty scene.

Digi cams only have about 5 stops dynamic range film a litte more therein lies the problem.
The eye has much more dyanamic range hence prints or images loose detail in shadows or Highlights.

John

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 8:30 PM   #5

John

Thanks for explaining that I read somewhere that having a grey card was a really handy tool to have but didn't know whether we could use it. I'll try and print one out and see what the difference in exposure will be with I'm just finding that in some situations the exposure is off annd sometimes in a big way.

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:01 PM   #6

these are my home made gray cards with photoshop, I would appreciate if someone can point out which of this is closest to a commercial greycard please.

Kodakgrey

Greycard

Grey118

Thanks
myfz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 8:46 PM   #7

myfz88 wrote:
Quote:
these are my home made gray cards with photoshop, I would appreciate if someone can point out which of this is closest to a commercial greycard please.

Kodakgrey

Greycard

Grey118

Thanks
I am pointing.....
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:23 AM   #8

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by a 'commercial greycard', but if I hold my Kodak 18% Gray card up to the screen it looks most like the one you've labeled 'Grey118'.

beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote