Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 11, 2005, 8:58 PM   #1

It's a 1952 bay boat. The old wood Garveys were a staple in the back bays since the turn of the century. The original skiffs of the rum runners in Atlantic City during prohibition. They would meet the ships offshore, collect the cases and glide through the back bays in low tides before daylight.I helped inthe complete restoration of this one in 1990. It's been in the water since and I thought I'd better photograph it before it's gone forever.

crop,auto adjust, unsharp mask...580 pages more to read.
Attached Images

shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:07 PM   #2

Yeah! SGB! I knew there was a shooter in there. Bravo!
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the Garvey lesson, Joe. Keep them coming. Are these both Garveys? Could you get a shot of one ot the original outboards used on the prohibition era Garveys? More pics and pages please. How about some history and pics on outboard engines?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:23 PM   #4

The only thing I would do to improve this shot is four clockwise rotations in Photoshop... Mind? Check it out:

Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:29 PM   #5

Are you serious Fred? One of my marina buddies collects old o/b's. Really old mercs, rusty, would make for great pics. The back boat is a newer one. The Larry'swas the one I spent a summer workingon. Down to the bare wood, layers, years of lead base paint.There's a great book by a local author about rum runners on Absecon Island. It's interesting history. thanks for the thoughts guys.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:32 PM   #6

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
The only thing I would do to improve this shot is four clockwise rotations in Photoshop... Mind? Check it out:

You lost me. I watching the horizon...?
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:15 PM   #7

shotgunbride wrote:
Quote:
NickTrop wrote:
Quote:

You lost me. I watching the horizon...?
Try it! Bring up the photo in PS, then

Image > Rotate Image > 90CW
and repeat three more times.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:18 PM   #8

shotgunbride wrote:
Quote:
Are you serious Fred? One of my marina buddies collects old o/b's. Really old mercs, rusty, would make for great pics.
Yes, I'm serious. I grew up on the Five Mile River on Long Island Sound in Connecticut in the 50's. Outboards were an essentialpart of life. Evenrudes were high classed. Mercury's were fast. Alota bs mouthed on that. I'd love to see some shots of some old ones. And definitelysock uswith some text.

Btw, what is the bridge in the back ground?

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:20 PM   #9

can't tell the difference.about rotating.but interesting story jo...the yellowtail are wide open at catalina i hoped to go next week ..if i get something over 15 lbs i'll post a pick
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 10:30 PM   #10

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
shotgunbride wrote:
Quote:
Are you serious Fred? One of my marina buddies collects old o/b's. Really old mercs, rusty, would make for great pics.
Yes, I'm serious. I grew up on the Five Mile River on Long Island Sound in Connecticut in the 50's. Outboards were an essentialpart of life. Evenrudes were high classed. Mercury's were fast. Alota bs mouthed on that. I'd love to see some shots of some old ones. And definitelysock uswith some text.

Btw, what is the bridge in the back ground?

Ok, saturdays project. My favorite ob to this day is a 70 Johnson on a 17 whaler. Fast and cheap to keep. Just like me! The bridge is my link to the rest of the world, the Longport Bridge.