Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 12, 2005, 1:23 PM   #1

Relaxing in the reeds. They look so peaceful and content.
smac

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:44 AM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2005, 1:23 PM   #2

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 1:28 PM   #3

Are you sure you are not using that flood filter...?
alandavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 1:33 PM   #4

alandavey wrote:
Quote:
Are you sure you are not using that flood filter...?
I only wish I was that good. Thanks
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:26 PM   #5

Obviously you decided against redeye removal in post-processing :lol:

Great shots!

emil
emil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:39 PM   #6

emil wrote:
Quote:
Obviously you decided against redeye removal in post-processing :lol:

Great shots!

emil
What do you mean? That IS after I used red-eye removal!:roll:

Thanks for the compliment,
Steve
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:45 PM   #7

Sweet shots smac. The reflections are awesome. How much PP did you use on these? The shots are excellent don't get me wrong there. Just would like to know what tweaks you used in any for such a sweet looking shot.. both of them.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:03 PM   #8

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Sweet shots smac. The reflections are awesome. How much PP did you use on these? The shots are excellent don't get me wrong there. Just would like to know what tweaks you used in any for such a sweet looking shot.. both of them.
Thanks Tom,
I don't know how to measure the amount of crop, but I know that I cropped these down quite a bit to focus on the birds. I could post the originals if that would help.
As for PP I used a little Adjust Smart Fix, maybe 35-40%. reduce the brightness by -4 and increased the contrast by +4. USM 1.2 pixel radius and 95%. Thats it. They are not perfect but not bad either. I took these back on Feb 5th and most of the waterfowl had already headed north. The refuge was pretty quiet. However, there is always something to shoot out there. There are always a few duck hold outs. Plus, there are always Pheasant, Raptors, Jack Rabbits, Squirrels, Egrets, Herons, Coots, and usually a surprise or two. Besides that, it so fricken beautiful in the Central Valley now it's worth the drive just to see all the wildflowers.
Steve
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:41 PM   #9

smac wrote:
Quote:
vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Tom,
I don't know how to measure the amount of crop, but I know that I cropped these down quite a bit to focus on the birds. I could post the originals if that would help.
As for PP I used a little Adjust Smart Fix, maybe 35-40%. reduce the brightness by -4 and increased the contrast by +4. USM 1.2 pixel radius and 95%. Thats it. They are not perfect but not bad either. I took these back on Feb 5th and most of the waterfowl had already headed north. The refuge was pretty quiet. However, there is always something to shoot out there. There are always a few duck hold outs. Plus, there are always Pheasant, Raptors, Jack Rabbits, Squirrels, Egrets, Herons, Coots, and usually a surprise or two. Besides that, it so fricken beautiful in the Central Valley now it's worth the drive just to see all the wildflowers.
Steve
Whoa,

Did you say Raptors? I will need to get the zoom lens after all and stay as far away as I can to get a shot of those beasties.

Thanks for the info smac. Pretty much what I do but I also use PhotoFiltre since I am more familiar with it and actually like finding out some of the neat things I can do with it. Not much tweaking to speak of and those shots are just excellent.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 9:53 PM   #10

Thanks and don't worry Tom, here is an old wildlife photograpy secret to keep you safe. Before you go out to take picutures, make sure you stuff both your pockets with a really stinky cheese. That way they will be fooled and won't smell your human scent.