Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 12, 2005, 1:23 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
smac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,103
Default

Relaxing in the reeds. They look so peaceful and content.
smac

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:44 AM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2005, 1:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
smac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,103
Default

#2

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:44 AM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 1:28 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33
Default

Are you sure you are not using that flood filter...?
alandavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 1:33 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
smac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,103
Default

alandavey wrote:
Quote:
Are you sure you are not using that flood filter...?
I only wish I was that good. Thanks
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:26 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
emil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8
Default

Obviously you decided against redeye removal in post-processing :lol:

Great shots!

emil
emil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:39 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
smac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,103
Default

emil wrote:
Quote:
Obviously you decided against redeye removal in post-processing :lol:

Great shots!

emil
What do you mean? That IS after I used red-eye removal!:roll:

Thanks for the compliment,
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:45 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,974
Default

Sweet shots smac. The reflections are awesome. How much PP did you use on these? The shots are excellent don't get me wrong there. Just would like to know what tweaks you used in any for such a sweet looking shot.. both of them.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
smac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,103
Default

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Sweet shots smac. The reflections are awesome. How much PP did you use on these? The shots are excellent don't get me wrong there. Just would like to know what tweaks you used in any for such a sweet looking shot.. both of them.
Thanks Tom,
I don't know how to measure the amount of crop, but I know that I cropped these down quite a bit to focus on the birds. I could post the originals if that would help.
As for PP I used a little Adjust Smart Fix, maybe 35-40%. reduce the brightness by -4 and increased the contrast by +4. USM 1.2 pixel radius and 95%. Thats it. They are not perfect but not bad either. I took these back on Feb 5th and most of the waterfowl had already headed north. The refuge was pretty quiet. However, there is always something to shoot out there. There are always a few duck hold outs. Plus, there are always Pheasant, Raptors, Jack Rabbits, Squirrels, Egrets, Herons, Coots, and usually a surprise or two. Besides that, it so fricken beautiful in the Central Valley now it's worth the drive just to see all the wildflowers.
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:41 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,974
Default

smac wrote:
Quote:
vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Sweet shots smac. The reflections are awesome. How much PP did you use on these? The shots are excellent don't get me wrong there. Just would like to know what tweaks you used in any for such a sweet looking shot.. both of them.
Thanks Tom,
I don't know how to measure the amount of crop, but I know that I cropped these down quite a bit to focus on the birds. I could post the originals if that would help.
As for PP I used a little Adjust Smart Fix, maybe 35-40%. reduce the brightness by -4 and increased the contrast by +4. USM 1.2 pixel radius and 95%. Thats it. They are not perfect but not bad either. I took these back on Feb 5th and most of the waterfowl had already headed north. The refuge was pretty quiet. However, there is always something to shoot out there. There are always a few duck hold outs. Plus, there are always Pheasant, Raptors, Jack Rabbits, Squirrels, Egrets, Herons, Coots, and usually a surprise or two. Besides that, it so fricken beautiful in the Central Valley now it's worth the drive just to see all the wildflowers.
Steve
Whoa,

Did you say Raptors? I will need to get the zoom lens after all and stay as far away as I can to get a shot of those beasties.

Thanks for the info smac. Pretty much what I do but I also use PhotoFiltre since I am more familiar with it and actually like finding out some of the neat things I can do with it. Not much tweaking to speak of and those shots are just excellent.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 9:53 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
smac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,103
Default


Thanks and don't worry Tom, here is an old wildlife photograpy secret to keep you safe. Before you go out to take picutures, make sure you stuff both your pockets with a really stinky cheese. That way they will be fooled and won't smell your human scent.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:26 AM.