Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:03 PM   #1

Took this pic of my moms birds and was wondering if I can do anything different to make the pics I take like this better? I just got this FZ20 and am still learning how to take good pics with it. This was cropped and resized. Other than that it is untouched.
Attached Images

ProStreetCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:05 PM   #2

The colors really pop out at you and I was wondering if this pic is good or do I need to adjust something when takeing pics like this?
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:20 PM   #3

The general composition seems to be OK. In my opinion you cropped just a little tight on the right side. Maybe allow just a little more room. I also looks just a tad overexposed to my eye. If you have any post processing software that's easily fixed. I am really being critical and nit picky, The shot is pretty good for a first attempt with a new camera. Just keep shooting and try lots of different stuff. Angles, exposures, apertures and compositions. You'll find the more you shoot the more your eye will see the possibilities.
What settings did you use on the camera?

Good luck and happy shooting,
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:24 PM   #4

Alittle overexposed. I would set the ev compensation to -1/3 or even -2/3 at iso80. I dont know how dark itis where the birds are but you might try taking it without the flash setting the wb manually. That's the beauty of digital. You get instant feedback. Try lots of settings.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:25 PM   #5

I think the angle is what takes away from the pic. The birds are brilliant. The upside to digital is being able to shoot 30 pics of the same thing, so take advantage of all angles. Sometimes the best shot happens by luck.
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:38 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. I kinda felt that it was a little overexposed to. I have it set on full auto everything. Pretty much the way it came out of the box. I have alot of learning to do. All these settings are really confusing.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:47 PM   #7

Drop down the intensity of the flash. Crop less from the right.

Good shot to begin with. Better to underexpose a bit than to overexpose.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:52 PM   #8

ProStreetCamaro wrote:
Quote:
I have alot of learning to do.
Yup. And alot of funning to do, too. Enjoy the ride!
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 6:41 PM   #9

Edit: forgot to ask, Did you use the built-in flash? It looks like you did. I think some type of flash diffuser might have resulted in a less 'harsh' look.

I am a total pp noob but just for grins I applied the Print Shop Pro 9 One Step Photo Fix to your picture to see what came out. Decide for yourself if it is an improvement or not. Personally I think it the pp'ed image has a more 3D look to it.

Attached Images

beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 7:15 PM   #10

Yeah I played around with that also. I have Paint shop pro 9 and photoshop 7.0. I used the same photo fix you did with PSP 9 but didnt save the finished result because it seemed to throw the colors way off to me. But you are right. It does give it a more 3D look to the pic. With some color adjustment it would be great.