Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 13, 2005, 1:30 PM   #1

Is there much difference in terms of losing much zoom from the Z15 to the Z20 (I know the arithmetic is 1mm-12mm:>) ) for the ultimate image?

Also, should I buy he Z20 if I was going to buy the Z15 to get the added features even if I won't use the hot shoe and sound recorder? I think 4MP would be sufficient as I am happy now with a Nikon 950 at 2MP.Prints are nice also from the 950 so would expect the Z20 at 4 or 5 MP would be good also.

One more-anyone ever see and use a digital video cam caddy harness to stabilize the camera in place of a monopod? Any good or waste?

Thanks very much.

picsgalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2005, 4:06 PM   #2

I do not understand the tech stuff but I have a FZ 10 and a FZ20 and when you check the exif at 12X with any exif reader, every one I tried say they are both 432mm.

I think it has something to do with the translation, on some pages on the Panasonic site it will say 420mm and the next page will say 432mm.

And I can see no difference between the magnification.

Its my guess anything that helps you hold the camera steadier will help.

If you have steady hands you may not need any help as the OIS does work.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:01 PM   #3

Thanks Genece for your response. Wonder if our host guru, Steve, would care to offer an opinion. I'll have to recheck the specs again after reading your reply. Thanks.

Anyone else?

How about the other two questions?

Most appreciated.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:01 PM   #4

I own a FZ-15, at first I though I'll never use the hot shoe, however now it is a must for me and I got an L-bracket w/hot shoe. Good results ($27.00)

For movies... mmhhh... this is not a camcorder, so I never use it to record movies.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 10:19 PM   #5

pics........I don't understand what you're talking about. The FZ15 and FZ20 have the same lens. There is no difference in zoom:arrow:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 8:58 PM   #6

Nooner,

You are right! Zoom is 12x on all. I should have said 35mm Lens equivalent focal length. Sorry about that.My non tech thinking zooms ahead to put zoom in my head. :roll:

Does that put some light on it so you might have an answer for me ? Thanks.

Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:05 PM   #7

msantos,

Thanks. I was thinking along those same lines but wanted to hear from others with same or different ideas about it to help me decide. Regards the movie cam comment-the harness is a strap contraption worn around neck with what appears to be a metal rod placed in a holder around waist (like a flag pole holder maybe) that the camera attaches to at top of rod-probably in a mount of some type or quick release mount.It's used to stabilize the camera in place of a monopod! Hope that explains it more.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:42 PM   #8

nooner wrote:
Quote:
pics........I don't understand what you're talking about. The FZ15 and FZ20 have the same lens. There is no difference in zoom:arrow:
Second follow up to Nooner-
I just checked the Imaging Resource site and attach a portion of their "compare" of cameras that I did. Must be a typo on their part. Also checked two other sites and they have the info correct. So Nooner, you are very correct. Thanks very much.
P.S. Can't send attachment-sorry but if you check IR web site you can see the focal lens equiv.posted incorrectly.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:20 AM   #9

nooner wrote:
Quote:
Actually the FZ-15 is quoted as having a 35 - 420 mm zoom while the FZ-20 is 36 - 432 mm. Not a huge difference, but not the same either.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 12:15 PM   #10

beernutz wrote:
Quote:
nooner wrote:
Quote:
Actually the FZ-15 is quoted as having a 35 - 420 mm zoom while the FZ-20 is 36 - 432 mm. Not a huge difference, but not the same either.
I do not remember all the details butone has a better infinity focus.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote