Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:02 PM   #11

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the pics, Joe. I guess stealth was a requirement for rum runners. We're these motors fairly quiet? I googled for a little looking for you mystery motor. I would think that hood would be a dead give away. Never did see one. What did Sears and Montgomery Ward sell in those days? Cute little devils. How long ago was that Johnson running on those Firestones? They look like they've gone to seed. How about if we just let you be our window to the wide wonderful world of outboards. Shoot until you drop. Od on obs. New ones. Big ones. Biggest one. Dual ones (twos?). Catamaran. Smallest. Ones people threw overboard they gotso p'od. How about some action shots with the outboard betweenskiers.Split the backgrounds like that. Above all, don't show anymore sick ones.

I've run that 7 and it is kinda quiet. My buddy says he's had that Johnson for years, I remember seeing it15 yrs ago hanging off his railing. One of the old timers gave it to him. I picked up an old merc in the trash a couple of years ago to add to his collection. It was the mercs that got thrown over board. These guys know motors and even with out a hood they could tell you what it was/when it was made. The mystery motor no one had ever seen. Ok, nuff of the old ones. Twin 240's? But the ski boats run those hateful I/O's. No props in the way of the lines. "Can't catch no fish towing a skier!"
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:25 PM   #12

shotgunbride wrote:
Quote:
But the ski boats run those hateful I/O's. No props in the way of the lines. "Can't catch no fish towing a skier!"
NO I/O's!! OK. Two people fishingwith the motor in betweenwill suffice. Or, two people doingANYTHING with the motor in between would probably be enjoyable.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:48 PM   #13

Blue Moon wrote:
Quote:
It's nice looking at pieces with history like that. Thanks.

It makes me cringe though just to think about trying to get some of those bolts and screws loose without breaking them off.

Here are a couple that aren't quite as old, but still being used in 2005 ...

that always kills me when you see the pairs like that. Is it a backup or does he run them counter? And those are old motors too. A lot of charm out there if you look for it.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:51 PM   #14

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
shotgunbride wrote:
Quote:
But the ski boats run those hateful I/O's. No props in the way of the lines. "Can't catch no fish towing a skier!"
NO I/O's!! OK. Two people fishingwith the motor in betweenwill suffice. Or, two people doingANYTHING with the motor in between would probably be enjoyable.

I do most of my fishing at nite. More time FISHINGthan CATCHING - it's a great time to take pics. All in 35mm though. I'll work on digital this year.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:42 PM   #15

Blue Moon wrote:

Here are a couple that aren't quite as old, but still being used in 2005 ...

I think I recognize the blue one on the right of that picture. It looks just like the old 1959 Evinrude "Fastwin" 18 HP model that my dad had. We ran that motor for over 30 years and all I ever did to it was change plugs and lube the lower end. I had a service technician (that's the PC term for "mechanic") tell me that that was the one most reliable model of outboard ever made. That may or may not be true, but we never had any trouble with ours. I wish we still had it!

propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 7:42 AM   #16

shotgunbride wrote:
Quote:
that always kills me when you see the pairs like that. Is it a backup or does he run them counter? And those are old motors too. A lot of charm out there if you look for it.
[align=center]
He was running both at the same time. I don't know if he was "in a hurry" or just warming up the "backup" kicker.

It was a little cold out that day.
[/align]
Blue Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 8:55 AM   #17

Nice little setup he's got there. Little light tackle action. He's not catchingsharks. My brother and I had a little boat when we were kids. We always had the backup 5 hp, it beats paddling when the old evinrude would take a dive.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 8:24 PM   #18

Blue Moon wrote:
Quote:
shotgunbride wrote:
Quote:

[align=center]
He was running both at the same time. I don't know if he was "in a hurry" or just warming up the "backup" kicker.

It was a little cold out that day.[/align]
doesn't really look like he's running both...notice there's no turbulence behind the small one, and no exhaust. looks like only the Evinrude is running. a lot of folks use the larger engine for getting to the fishing spot in a hurry, then shut it off and use the smaller one for trolling.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 8:47 PM   #19

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
doesn't really look like he's running both...notice there's no turbulence behind the small one, and no exhaust. looks like only the Evinrude is running. a lot of folks use the larger engine for getting to the fishing spot in a hurry, then shut it off and use the smaller one for trolling.

Good call squirl. Small one gets you back to the dock too- when you run low on fuel. Usually the case with us. Dig worms and raid the recliner for lost change for 2 gallons of gas. I think it was 50 cents a gallon then too. When life was cheap and easy....
Old Mar 15, 2005, 7:23 AM   #20

Ahhh but squirl033 and shotgunbride, might not a wise old timer run his backup kicker at idle just after leaving the ramp to make sure it wants to run and exercise it after sitting awhile? Would you be sure to see such signs if the kicker was running at idle? Is not the Waccasassa River filled with rocks and logs to reach out and scar props? Would not such a wise old timer have had his spare kicker raised to avoid such hazards if it was not being run?

[align=center]

I leave crushed by your rebuke. [/align]
Blue Moon is offline   Reply With Quote