Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:05 PM   #11

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
and i don't have a really strong dominant eye, so whichever i need to use works fine.
Everyone is either left- or right-eye dominant.

Here's a test. Make a circle with your thumb and index finger (like an "okay" sign), hold it up to your face, and look through it.

Which eye did you use to look through it? That eye is your dominant eye. Most people who are right handed are also right-eye dominant. Likewise for southpaws. There are, however, exceptions to every rule and some people are mixed (or mixed up).

mtritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:47 PM   #12

A more accurate test for your master eye is to point at something a fair distance away from you andclose yourleft eye. If your finger stays pointed at the same spot then your right eye is your master eye. If your finger appears to jump toone side then your left eye is your master eye.If your left eye is your master eye then try repeating the test, but this time closing your right instead, your finger should remain pointed at the spot confirming the original result.

By the way, I am naturally left handed but have a right master eye. Iuse my right eye when using the EVF

Cheers, Ian

IanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:30 PM   #13

Non of that works for me. I can only see out of one anyway.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:36 PM   #14

i use the eye i shoot with..
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:55 PM   #15

I use my left eye and push the camera against my forehead for added stability.

I cannot break a 57-year habit.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:23 AM   #16

mtritt wrote:
Quote:
squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
and i don't have a really strong dominant eye, so whichever i need to use works fine.
Everyone is either left- or right-eye dominant.

Here's a test. Make a circle with your thumb and index finger (like an "okay" sign), hold it up to your face, and look through it.

Which eye did you use to look through it? That eye is your dominant eye. Most people who are right handed are also right-eye dominant. Likewise for southpaws. There are, however, exceptions to every rule and some people are mixed (or mixed up).

as a shooter, i amwell aware of eye dominance. i didn't say i don't have a dominant eye, i just don't have a strong one. i am right-eye-dominant, but only barely. using your method, all i see is two images of my hand. the best test i've found is to hold your thumb up at arm's length, and line it up with a distant object. let your eyes focus on your thumb, then close one eye at a time. when you close your "weak" eye, your thumb will not appear to move, but whenyou close your dominant eye, your thumb will seem to move off to one side of your "target".

my daughter is right-handed and left-eye-dominant. makes shooting a rifle problematic for her, though she has little trouble with pistols...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:32 AM   #17

OK this is it in a nut shell..nevermind
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 1:50 AM   #18

It has been noted that a lot of good sportsmen have cross dominant eyesight. In baseball, when you are batting right handed, it´s actually easier for a left eye dominant person to see the on-coming ball without having to turn his head too much.

That said, left eye doms get a nice nose print on their lcd!

I´m right eye right handed.... and not too good at sports!... good to have an excuse!
gmosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 2:36 AM   #19

Most times I use the evf its for surf photography(its to bright to use the LCD). I use my right eye, so I can keep seeing the overall scean with my left eye.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:02 AM   #20

Yep, right eye because: a) I'm right eye dominant; b) nose gets in the way when trying to use left eye; and c) when you shoot (pistol or camera) with both eyes open you can monitor surroundings.
shu246 is offline   Reply With Quote