Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:31 AM   #1

Hi. I recently bought my FZ10 at Ritz. The lens seems to have some fingerprints on it, and I haven't got enough money to buy a lens cleaning kit. What would you suggest me to do? I tried the old breathing on the lens and viping it with a cotton cloth lightly, but some stains dont go away..

The pictures dont seem to have any problem, though.
rameezrazzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:06 PM   #2

Try one drop of detergent in a glass of water. It should be mild enough not to harm the lens and hopefully have enough grease cutting ability to get your smudge out, if not add another drop. When you're done I would re-wipe the lens with a clean damp cloth to remove any residue and dry.
guaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:18 PM   #3

Try some distilled water.. I don't know about Pakistan but here in the USA it's about a dollar per gallon. It's probably more expensive for you than a lens clean kit. Don't put the water On the lens, but on the cloth (you really shouldn't use cotton or brushes) and gently wipe the lens.. Keep the cap on the camera when not in use..

There are several different opinions, including mine, on how to clean a lens.. Pick the one that suits you..

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...258370#p258370

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:55 PM   #4

I use a microfibre cloth, that seems to get rid of any 'prints' on the lens. Now I have a filter attached so this keeps the lens itself clear.
silvagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 1:36 PM   #5

I use a Leupold Lenspen to clean my lenses out in the field. It has a soft brush on one end a felt suction cup-like head on the other end. I brush off any dust with the brush. Then I give the cap on the ohter end a half twist before I remove it. The I use the cup to get rid of hte finterprint. It uses some type of very fine dry cleaner to get the oil off the lens. It is cheep and can be easy found.

Later,
Steven

[OH, didn't see that the OP is in Pakistan.]
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 2:14 PM   #6

silvagod wrote:
Quote:
I use a microfibre cloth, that seems to get rid of any 'prints' on the lens. Now I have a filter attached so this keeps the lens itself clear.
I just use a microfibre cloth tooth - nothing else touches the lens, plus when your hungry and theres nothing else to chew on.. its pretty good!

Harj

:G:arrow::?
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 2:32 PM   #7

I went tothe largest and best respectedlocal camera store and asked the owner what he used. He recommended a Promaster cleaning spray and a Promaster microfiber cloth. Total for both was about $9 and they work great. </$.02>
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:43 PM   #8

i breath on the lens to fog it a bit then take a lens wipe and wipe it dry
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 2:14 PM   #9

Thankyou so much for the replies!

I don't know what image you people have got of Pakistan... it's not Afghanistan, only close it, lol. I asked some shops in the camera market about any kind of lens cleaning fluid, and the cheapest one was kinda expensive for me, at the moment. Special lens cleaning tools would be even more expensive, so that's not an option....I would try the detergent tip, hope it works... and, would distilled water be really neccessary? is the lens really sensitive to very small amounts of impurities found in tap water? if it really is that sensitive, then it would be sensitive to the small amount of detergent too? Distilled water isn't hard to get though, I'm a science student, have to work in a Chemsitry lab often...

Thankyou all for taking the time to post

Rameez Razzak
rameezrazzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 2:53 AM   #10

rameezrazzak wrote:
Quote:
Thankyou so much for the replies!

I don't know what image you people have got of Pakistan... it's not Afghanistan, only close it, lol. I asked some shops in the camera market about any kind of lens cleaning fluid, and the cheapest one was kinda expensive for me, at the moment. Special lens cleaning tools would be even more expensive, so that's not an option.... I would try the detergent tip, hope it works... and, would distilled water be really neccessary? is the lens really sensitive to very small amounts of impurities found in tap water? if it really is that sensitive, then it would be sensitive to the small amount of detergent too? Distilled water isn't hard to get though, I'm a science student, have to work in a Chemsitry lab often...

Thankyou all for taking the time to post

Rameez Razzak
The image that we have of Pakistan is the one that we are given.. In fact, I've learned more about it in your other post (the bike fixer) than in the press.. Of course I could seek out more info elsewhere.

I don't know that it's critical to use distilled water rather than tap water, it would depend on what kind of minerals are in your water. Here, where I live, and it differs by area, there's an iron content among other things and It isn't something I would want to scrape across my lens. That's why, in place of a lens cleaning kit (proper fluid, tissue, etc) I suggested the distilled water.. The coatings on the glass are probably pretty hard so limited use of just about anything short of sand paper would probably get you by in a pinch. Maybe 250ml of distilled water with a drop or two of detergent (to cut finger print oil) would work great and would be enough to last you quite awhile.

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote