Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 16, 2005, 5:49 PM   #1

Many of my recent photos are out of focus. The Viewfinder is so small, and the LCD screen is so poor in sunlight or shadow that I think I've taken a good photo, but when I see them on my computer they are out of focus. I used the Stailizer Mode 2 and MF, plus many of the out of focus photos are of completely stationary subjects and are not using the zoom, but rather the wide angle lense setting. Why shouldn't the auto focus work on this camera? I've taken wildlife photos with an SLR for 30 years and never had a problem with out of focus photos - this camera is a rip-off!!!!!!!!
VanCote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2005, 5:59 PM   #2

Let me give you my address. You just ship thatterrible camera to me and I'll see to it that you never have to take a picture with it agian. I hate to see you so flustered over a camera. You're probably a lovely person and don't deserve such torment from a mechanical device.
Circe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 6:01 PM   #3

How about trying auto focus? It works fine in daylight, and decent in low light. In my opinion, since the EVF/LCD both do not have a huge number of pixels, manual focus should be used in special circumstances (when AF fails repeatedly, when you need to fine tune focusing, etc).

If you really want to use manual focus on this camera, it is probably best to press the lever all the way down, this will tell it to autofocus to find a "starting point" but then lets you use the manual focus.
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 8:32 PM   #4

VanCote wrote:
Quote:
Many of my recent photos are out of focus.this camera is a rip-off!!!!!!!!
The FZ-10 has garnered glowing reviews from the "digicam press" and autofocus issues were not mentioned. Its autofocus system is at least as good as other digicams in its price range. You will also note that there are 100's of FZ owners here - from the 1 through the 20; you would be hard-pressed to find posts about focusing issues. To the contrary, you will see some amazing, beautiful, sharp-as-a-tack photos posted by FZ-owners who used autofocus.

Post some examples, and perhaps someone will be willing to assist. Often focus issues can be motion blur resulting from slow shutter speeds. You might also have a defective camera.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:00 PM   #5

How long have you had the camera for? Manual focusing with the fz20did take a few weeks to figure out myself. Try blinblue's advice -- I do that often and my photos have come out quite nice!

Good luck -- take a deep breath, relax and go to the park--usually works for me!
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:33 PM   #6

Its possible you have a bad camera. More possible your doing something wrong.

Maybe the switch on the lens is on manual... maybe you need to set the diopter in the viewfinder...Maybe you need to use Spot focus... and maybe you need to turn off continuous autofocus.

Maybe you need to set the camera back to factory defaults and start over.

But if you really want rid of it I could use another one.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:36 PM   #7

See http://www.ishots.net/fz1-2faq/focusing/index.htm info pertains to all fz
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:09 PM   #8

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
See http://www.ishots.net/fz1-2faq/focusing/index.htm info pertains to all fz
Very interesting link, thanks for posting that!
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 3:32 AM   #9

Sorry to hear that you are not happy with your camera VanCote. As a user of the FZ10 for over a year now I can say that I more than happy with it. I have noticed some autofocus issues under low light and when using 12x zoom but these are overcome by using the manual focus. If you post some examples of your out of focus photos then we may be able to help figure what the problem is.
Although after using the FZ10 to take over 5000 photos I must say there are two possibilities, the camera is faulty or your not using it correctly.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:21 AM   #10

Use mode 1 with manual focus. Sounds like a flame here just to get this board from being bored.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote