Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:59 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 265
Default

which is the bst macro lens you can get for your money for the fz20? i'll be getting the phayee adapter and i'd like the lens to be 62mm but its not a must. just want to know which is better, the nikon 4t, 5t, 6t, the olympus mcon-40(b-macro) or the raynox one:?
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:27 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
LoveLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,288
Default

It depends how close you want to go without sacrificing quality. I would stay with the Nikon 6T with 62mm mount. The Raynox DCR250 is stronger and gets you closer but I do not like the shallow DOF, DTS and edge drop off.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:38 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 76
Default

i too am contemplating getting a macro lens. here in canada, the raynox adapter is readily available so i guess i am going with the raynox lens. do you think the problems you expressed are evident in the less powerful raynox macro lenses? thanks!
junji98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:41 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
fmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,116
Default

junji98 wrote:
Quote:
i too am contemplating getting a macro lens. here in canada, the raynox adapter is readily available so i guess i am going with the raynox lens. do you think the problems you expressed are evident in the less powerful raynox macro lenses? thanks!
Since you will be getting the 52mm raynox rt5264p adapter, I would recommend getting the nikon 4t macro lens. It is the same as the nikon 6t but with 52mm threads rather than 62mm. The raynox dcr250 will work with any adapter from 52mm to 67mm. It is an excellent butvery powerful lens (8 diopter) and as LL points out has a very shallow dof. The 4t at +3 diopter is a better general use macro lens.


fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:52 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
jsiladi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 587
Default

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
junji98 wrote:
Quote:
i too am contemplating getting a macro lens. here in canada, the raynox adapter is readily available so i guess i am going with the raynox lens. do you think the problems you expressed are evident in the less powerful raynox macro lenses? thanks!
Since you will be getting the 52mm raynox rt5264p adapter, I would recommend getting the nikon 4t macro lens. It is the same as the nikon 6t but with 52mm threads rather than 62mm. The raynox dcr250 will work with any adapter from 52mm to 67mm. It is an excellent but very powerful lens (8 diopter) and as LL points out has a very shallow dof. The 4t at +3 diopter is a better general use macro lens.

Aren't we confusing the term macro for close up?? That is, I thought the Nikon 4t, 5t, 6t, etc were close up lenses. Basically magnifying glasses that will allow us to focus closer than the native limits of the lens alone... A macro, I thought, does not magnify but will allow very close focus when used. In fact, again, I thought, that only the more expensive units will allow something like a 1:1 or larger reproduction. Most are 1:2 or 1:4..

Jeff
:?:
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:06 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 76
Default

uh oh... now i am confused again...

:?
junji98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:32 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 26
Default

I found the Nikon 6T the best for me.

It gives me sharp and easy to shoot pictures. I use it for dental applications every days
maury1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:56 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
LoveLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,288
Default

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
fmoore wrote:
Quote:
junji98 wrote:
Quote:
i too am contemplating getting a macro lens. here in canada, the raynox adapter is readily available so i guess i am going with the raynox lens. do you think the problems you expressed are evident in the less powerful raynox macro lenses? thanks!
Since you will be getting the 52mm raynox rt5264p adapter, I would recommend getting the nikon 4t macro lens. It is the same as the nikon 6t but with 52mm threads rather than 62mm. The raynox dcr250 will work with any adapter from 52mm to 67mm. It is an excellent but very powerful lens (8 diopter) and as LL points out has a very shallow dof. The 4t at +3 diopter is a better general use macro lens.

Aren't we confusing the term macro for close up?? That is, I thought the Nikon 4t, 5t, 6t, etc were close up lenses. Basically magnifying glasses that will allow us to focus closer than the native limits of the lens alone... A macro, I thought, does not magnify but will allow very close focus when used. In fact, again, I thought, that only the more expensive units will allow something like a 1:1 or larger reproduction. Most are 1:2 or 1:4..

Jeff
:?
Clarification

Both lenses are multi element diopter. The Nikon is +4, the Dcr250 +8.

Close-up, portrait, macro it all depends on what the piece is attached to.

If I put the Nikon 4t on a 50mm Nikor f 1.4, it is a close-up portrait.

If I sit in front of a 35mm to 420mm zoom, it is now a macro.




LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:21 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
fmoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,116
Default

Clarification clarification: Nikon 4t is a +2.9 diopter lens.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:48 AM.