Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:59 PM   #1

which is the bst macro lens you can get for your money for the fz20? i'll be getting the phayee adapter and i'd like the lens to be 62mm but its not a must. just want to know which is better, the nikon 4t, 5t, 6t, the olympus mcon-40(b-macro) or the raynox one:?
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:27 AM   #2

It depends how close you want to go without sacrificing quality. I would stay with the Nikon 6T with 62mm mount. The Raynox DCR250 is stronger and gets you closer but I do not like the shallow DOF, DTS and edge drop off.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:38 AM   #3

i too am contemplating getting a macro lens. here in canada, the raynox adapter is readily available so i guess i am going with the raynox lens. do you think the problems you expressed are evident in the less powerful raynox macro lenses? thanks!
junji98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:41 AM   #4

junji98 wrote:
Quote:
i too am contemplating getting a macro lens. here in canada, the raynox adapter is readily available so i guess i am going with the raynox lens. do you think the problems you expressed are evident in the less powerful raynox macro lenses? thanks!
Since you will be getting the 52mm raynox rt5264p adapter, I would recommend getting the nikon 4t macro lens. It is the same as the nikon 6t but with 52mm threads rather than 62mm. The raynox dcr250 will work with any adapter from 52mm to 67mm. It is an excellent butvery powerful lens (8 diopter) and as LL points out has a very shallow dof. The 4t at +3 diopter is a better general use macro lens.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:52 AM   #5

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
junji98 wrote:
Quote:
Since you will be getting the 52mm raynox rt5264p adapter, I would recommend getting the nikon 4t macro lens. It is the same as the nikon 6t but with 52mm threads rather than 62mm. The raynox dcr250 will work with any adapter from 52mm to 67mm. It is an excellent but very powerful lens (8 diopter) and as LL points out has a very shallow dof. The 4t at +3 diopter is a better general use macro lens.

Aren't we confusing the term macro for close up?? That is, I thought the Nikon 4t, 5t, 6t, etc were close up lenses. Basically magnifying glasses that will allow us to focus closer than the native limits of the lens alone... A macro, I thought, does not magnify but will allow very close focus when used. In fact, again, I thought, that only the more expensive units will allow something like a 1:1 or larger reproduction. Most are 1:2 or 1:4..

Jeff
:?:
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:06 PM   #6

uh oh... now i am confused again...

:?
junji98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:32 PM   #7

I found the Nikon 6T the best for me.

It gives me sharp and easy to shoot pictures. I use it for dental applications every days
maury1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:56 PM   #8

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
fmoore wrote:
Quote:
junji98 wrote:
Quote:
Since you will be getting the 52mm raynox rt5264p adapter, I would recommend getting the nikon 4t macro lens. It is the same as the nikon 6t but with 52mm threads rather than 62mm. The raynox dcr250 will work with any adapter from 52mm to 67mm. It is an excellent but very powerful lens (8 diopter) and as LL points out has a very shallow dof. The 4t at +3 diopter is a better general use macro lens.

Aren't we confusing the term macro for close up?? That is, I thought the Nikon 4t, 5t, 6t, etc were close up lenses. Basically magnifying glasses that will allow us to focus closer than the native limits of the lens alone... A macro, I thought, does not magnify but will allow very close focus when used. In fact, again, I thought, that only the more expensive units will allow something like a 1:1 or larger reproduction. Most are 1:2 or 1:4..

Jeff
:?
Clarification

Both lenses are multi element diopter. The Nikon is +4, the Dcr250 +8.

Close-up, portrait, macro it all depends on what the piece is attached to.

If I put the Nikon 4t on a 50mm Nikor f 1.4, it is a close-up portrait.

If I sit in front of a 35mm to 420mm zoom, it is now a macro.

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:21 PM   #9

Clarification clarification: Nikon 4t is a +2.9 diopter lens.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote