Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 18, 2005, 11:30 PM   #1

To introduce myself my name is Jessica. It took me a few months to finally decide on a Panasonic camera while camera shopping. My first two camera choices were the Minolta Dimage Z2, or the Fuji S5100. What led me to the Panasonic was the manual focus ring, 12x zoom, and OIS. I really REALLY wanted something that was close to a Digital Rebel and the Manual Focus caught me. The Panasonic in my price range was the DMC-FZ15. I love this camera!!!

Now this is the first digital camera, or camera I've ever owned so I came to Steve's Digicams forum to learn more. Things like composition, and depth of field so that pictures taken are focused on the subject. I'm afraid to venture into "Manual Mode" though, most of my shots are done in Program or Macro Mode. So hopefully I can learn how to use the Manual mode after a while.

If you'd like to comment, or critique please do so. If you critique let me know what sort of settings I could/should use or if the image needs something done to it.

A Rose on Valentines Day

Architectual Photography

Butterfly Photography

:|
JessAlba452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2005, 12:27 AM   #2

Welcome aboard!! I like your third pict. I suggest to surf arround this forum, check past posts and fell free to ask, there is a lot of people with lots of knowledge arround here.

I suggest you use Aperture and Shutter modes first, after you feel comfortable, switch to Manual mode. Take a lot of pictures, they are free, and share them with us
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 12:40 AM   #3

the 3rd is great, the second is how I would have captured the window reflections with a tighter framing of the scene I also corrected the tilting verticals.
Attached Images

boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 3:13 AM   #4

Well done, Jessica... very nice indeed! Welcome aboard and have fun!
KarlJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 6:00 AM   #5

Welcome... So much fun to see someone having fun and excited about their camera... ain't these things great? Shoot, post, and be happy.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 11:13 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum Jess...absolutely love #3. Have fun and keep posting pics, so that we might all see you grow in this field...lol...we are like the old elders watching the new ones take the reigns....hehe.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 7:20 PM   #7

JessAlba452 wrote:
Quote:
To introduce myself my name is Jessica. It took me a few months to finally decide on a Panasonic camera while camera shopping. My first two camera choices were the Minolta Dimage Z2, or the Fuji S5100. What led me to the Panasonic was the manual focus ring, 12x zoom, and OIS. I really REALLY wanted something that was close to a Digital Rebel and the Manual Focus caught me. The Panasonic in my price range was the DMC-FZ15. I love this camera!!!

Now this is the first digital camera, or camera I've ever owned so I came to Steve's Digicams forum to learn more. Things like composition, and depth of field so that pictures taken are focused on the subject. I'm afraid to venture into "Manual Mode" though, most of my shots are done in Program or Macro Mode. So hopefully I can learn how to use the Manual mode after a while.

If you'd like to comment, or critique please do so. If you critique let me know what sort of settings I could/should use or if the image needs something done to it.

:|
Jessica,

If these are your first efforts, I'd say you're off to a great start.. Don't be afraid of the manual mode.. The worse that can happen is you have to retake the shot.. Real simple with digital.. Try the components first to see what they do. That is, Aperture priority and Shutter priority. When you are comfortable with those, move to manual (which combines the 2 settings). Actually, I rarely use the manual mode but pretty much stick to aperture and shutter priority..

A couple quick notes on your photos.. The rose, I'm guessing you used the flash as evidenced by the shadow on the bottom. These kinds of photos work much better if you step back a little bit and zoom, then crop rather than using the macro with flash. Or, use a tripod and No flash.. Otherwise, it's a nice photo..

The building, I'll second boyzos' suggestions. Anytime you take a picture pointing the camera upward at a building, it's going to look a bit skewed.. Use your photoshop to correct the perspective.

The butterfly... Can't find anything wrong with it.. Great effort.

Welcome aboard the FZ club.. You made an excellent choice..

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 7:54 PM   #8

Welcome. Lots of cheap thrills to had here. Shoot as many pictures as you can with as many settings as you can and keep coming back:|
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 8:19 PM   #9

Nice shots. Welcome aboard!
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 1:08 AM   #10

Your first one is a bit too tight and the focus is a bit soft.

The second one you could have zoomed or stepped closer to the building and leave out the lightpost.

The last one is a keeper as is, and very nice indeed.

Thanks for posting your photos and I look forward to more of your posts.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote