Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 19, 2005, 8:29 AM   #1

I've been looking at various reviews of other digicam's such as the Minolta Z3, Nikon Coolpix 8800, Olympus 8080 and noticed that at higher ISO's esp 400 that the FZ's actually produce the better pictures, esp when you think that both the Nikon and Oly's are 8MP cam's and in the $1000/£600 price range.The oly did impress me with some of the features that Olympus have put into the cam:

Here's some test shots from dcresource - need to look 3/4 of the way down:

Nikon 8800
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ni...ew/index.shtml

Oly 8080
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol...8080wz-review/

FZ20
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml

Harj

:O

PS:

Panasonic you still need to elimiate the noise levels at ISO 400!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:36 AM   #2

...sorry, Nikon makes a great cam - always did, but the FZ-20 has it all over the 8800, especially factoring in the price. The 8800 has no reason to be.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:44 AM   #3

Thanks for the links HarjTT!

Well said Nick. I would like to see Panasonic add camera RAW in the future though. Still, Lumix cams are THE best value out there imho. Especially the FZ-1.
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 2:20 PM   #4

Nick & JEDI

Agree 100% with you both and to think my first choice replacement for my Canon EOS (which tried to see if it could bounce with lens on head first onto concrete and not break!) was the Nikon 8700 - I only went for the FZ10 after the guy in the camera store told me take a look at the just in FZ10. So glad he pointed me in the right direction and saved £££/$$$ too.

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 8:26 PM   #5

I have an EOS as well. My daughter tested it's impact resistance by accidentally pulling it off the counter onto our ceramic tile floor. Luckly, it only shattered the UV filter and busted the battery door. I really think the UV filter saved the lens. I was ready to sell it but am considering some low light, long exposure, night images and it may be nice to have on hand. Besides, I will never get my money out of it second hand anyway. It does take amazing pictures too. :-)
JEDinNC is offline   Reply With Quote