Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 21, 2005, 12:49 AM   #1

I am looking at purchasing a UV filter for my FZ5. I've just gone to the Adorama website and chosen Hoya - UV - 55mm and have been given a choice of four! As I've never used a camera with filters before I'm not sure which one I need. There is the basic, the multi-coated, the super multi-coated and the super multi-coated Pro 1. I'm thinking of going for the multi-coated, but is it worth spending the extra money to get a better one? I will also be buying a polarising filter - do I stack this on the UV, or only use one filter at a time? Am I right to go for the linear, not circular? Sorry to sound such an ignoramus!
bandysbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:15 PM   #2

the basic multi-coated filter should be more than sufficient. no need to spend money on "super multi-coated", as there is probably no measurable difference between the two. as far as a polarizer, get the linear, it's cheaper and does the same thing. stacking the two won't usually hurt anything (i do it all the time), as long as they're both clean, but some purists believe you should never use more than one filter on a lens at a time. frankly, i doubt any but a serious pro could tell the difference between a shot taken with a UV and polarizer together, or just the polarizer alone...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:54 PM   #3

I use a Quantaray (made by Hoya?) mulitcoated UV filter I got for ~$25 at Ritz Camera in the US. You do want multicoated but there is no reason to get any pricier than that.

Do you have the fz5 now? Please post some pics. A shot of a person indoors without the flash from 6-10 ft would be very nice. Thanks.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 7:43 PM   #4

bandysbabe wrote:
Quote:
I am looking at purchasing a UV filter for my FZ5. I've just gone to the Adorama website and chosen Hoya - UV - 55mm and have been given a choice of four! As I've never used a camera with filters before I'm not sure which one I need. There is the basic, the multi-coated, the super multi-coated and the super multi-coated Pro 1. I'm thinking of going for the multi-coated, but is it worth spending the extra money to get a better one? I will also be buying a polarising filter - do I stack this on the UV, or only use one filter at a time? Am I right to go for the linear, not circular? Sorry to sound such an ignoramus!
You can get a standard, dual coated, 62mm UV delivered for $24.00.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 8:25 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice everyone. I haven't got the camera yet - it was shipped from Hong Kong and arrived in Australia within 2 days but am still waiting on Customs to get their act together and release it. Any day now I hope. I will certainly post some pictures when it arrives.
bandysbabe is offline   Reply With Quote