Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 21, 2005, 8:25 AM   #1

Just checking to see if someone can advice on what setting/s I should use when shooting a night time luau. I'll be going to Hawaii and aside from the obvious photo ops, I'll want to shoot the fire dancers at night time. I havent had an oppotunity to do any nighttime photography like thatso cant predict how the FZ20 will do.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2005, 11:04 AM   #2

Really hard to answer that one, since light in various settings very so much, even at night. Also, how far from the action will you be?I took some pics at night on the boardwalk using the "night portrait" preset whichwas hit-or-miss, some came out okay, some didn't. Too much motion and many elements in the frame will blur. Sometimes it's a neat effect, other times you hit "delete"...

Hard to answer that one... Are you using an external flash (which I recommend, highly for any kind of outdoor at night stuff)? How far away will you be? Best bet is just to take a lot of pics and experiment with different settings until you find the one that works best.

Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 2:19 PM   #3

Scrap,

Not sure on this one, now if you were talking about takign a pic of building at night then I'd say the best thing to do would be to (i) use a tripod (2) switch of the OIS (3) set the whitebalance to incandescent (4) have the cam in full manual mode with - set the aperture to F8. I'm not too impressed with the night shot preset on the Fz's either but I've had much better luck in A/S/M modes. I'd seriously go with what Goldar says about taking practice shots.

Harj

:?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:00 PM   #4

Tough shot. I tried one last year and it came out crappy...
as you can see...
Attached Images

trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:13 PM   #5

It's very hard to do without a flash. I agree with Goldar(??) about taking lots of shots. If you have a good external flash with a guide number of 100+. you should be able to get some shots that are fast enough to eliminate the blur. Once again experiment and take note of what works so you can duplicate the settings for the next opportunity.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:52 PM   #6

Sounds like it would be worthwhile before the actual trip, to take an hour some evening and take some shots with various settings. Nothing worse than losing those once in a lifetime shots due to incorrect settings. Perhaps some kids in the yard with sparklers or flashlights . . .
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 7:17 PM   #7

suze wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like it would be worthwhile before the actual trip, to take an hour some evening and take some shots with various settings. Nothing worse than losing those once in a lifetime shots due to incorrect settings. Perhaps some kids in the yard with sparklers or flashlights . . .

Suze,

Now thats a damn clever idea !!

Harj

:O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 1:54 AM   #8

Here's a pic I took at a Hawai'ian Luau. I used an external flash only b/c I was too far from the stage and the Mai Tais were kicking in and I was too lazy to get up, did you try the poi??? I shot this at ISO 100, 1/13 sec and wide open at f2.8-in the manual setting. I like to mix the natural light in with the flash, b/c the flash really flattens out the picture. And I don't mind a little motion blur (which is why I slowed the shutter to 1/13sec) which shows the incredible movement of the dancers, let me know what you think:

Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:30 AM   #9

Thanks for all the replies. I should be fairly close to the stage, just a few tables back perhaps. I plan on purchasing the Sunpak 383 super, unless there's a better choice??? Trooplewis' shot is exactly what I pictured my BEST shot to be, that's whyI've posted this question. Gabby's shot came out great...even with the Mai Tai's. Good idea, and original, about test shots with fllashlights.

scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:23 AM   #10

Call ahead and see if the people putting on the Luau allow the use of flash photography during the performance. I have seen a couple of them and I think one did not allow flashes.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote