Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 21, 2005, 2:19 PM   #1

i've taken some nice pictures that i want to print, most of them with my FZ20 and some with my A75(3.2MP). whats the biggest size i can print these pictures at a store?

FZ20 - 2560x1920 @ 72DPI
A75 - 2048x1536 @180DPI
Max_Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2005, 2:51 PM   #2

Max_Pain wrote:
Quote:
i've taken some nice pictures that i want to print, most of them with my FZ20 and some with my A75(3.2MP). whats the biggest size i can print these pictures at a store?

FZ20 - 2560x1920 @ 72DPI
A75 - 2048x1536 @180DPI
Hey Max, I have gone to one of the Big Box warehouse stores (Costco, Sam's Club, etc.) that have their own photo developing equipment and had 12 X 14 inch prints (the largest they do) made and they came out beautifully. At 72dpi you should theoretically be able to enlarge to 35"x26" with your FZ20, though I doubt you will be able to find any place can enlarge that big. Except a custom place and that will cost a pretty penny. As for the A75, you should be able to get great 8x10's. Maybe even a little larger. At least that's been my experience.
Good Luck and cheers,
smac
P.S. Even when the photo Kiosk warned me that there wasn't enough resolution to print @ 8x10 I did anyway and they came out great. I couldn't see any difference.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 3:54 PM   #3

Are you sure you want to print at 72 PPI? The lowest PPI you might want to consider is 150 for a print. 72 DPI is the default pixel density of your monitor but you don't want prints with such a low pixel density. Usually, 150 is about the minimum, 200-250 ppi gives you "35mm film quality",300 ppi for "art prints", and anything over 300 ppi is considered a waste, since your n'ked eye can'tresolve the additional detail.

Not sure if you're aware/if this is your question, but dividing the ppi by the number of pixels (length) and width gives you your print size. So, 2048 pixels/180 p(ixels) p(er) i(nch) = 11.37 inche width, your print size would be 11.37" X 8.5" for the A75 without cropping.

There are some good interpolation tools - software that adds fake pixels,out there for enlargements. In fact, there's a separate forum for them, and much has been written here about them: Genuine Fractals, Lancos, Infranview, S-Spline, and Bucubic Interpolation. I wouldn't add more than 100% (double) the number of actual pixels, tough as things get blurry.

Using interpolation doesn't "add detail" not captured by the camera but it preserves the detail you have when you enlarge by keeping the pixel density at a desired rate between 200 and 300 ppi, as a target. Generally works ->very<- well imo.

Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote