Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 21, 2005, 5:42 PM   #1

With the recent interest in ir photography, I was wondering if there are any free orinexpensiveimageeditorsthat includea channel mixing tool. All I could come up with is the Gimp -free at http://www.gimpguru.org/ Looks like a pretty good program with an extensive online tutorial. I'll continue to use Photoshop since I have it, but for those who dont and want to experiment with channel mixing, check out the Gimp.

- Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2005, 7:17 PM   #2

I am sure you know about Brad's IR action ....

http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo95.php3.... fmoore

butI put the link here just in case you don't. I use that for IR or I just desaturate using either PS or PhotoFiltre. In PhotoFiltre I have been trying out different things with Gamma Correct ColorChannels.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 7:39 PM   #3

Brads is a photoshop action that uses the ps channel mixer and levels adjustment. This can be done the same way in Gimp though there is no action, per se. PhotoFiltre looks interesting (it's free!) but I cant get into the english version to download and see if it has a channel mixer or something similar. Is there another way to mix channels; ie, set red to blue and blue to red?
Old Mar 21, 2005, 9:04 PM   #4

Unfortunately I don't know of any at this time or if there are any. I am interested in this as well since the IR bug has bit and infected me. I will be looking and asking around from my other sources and if I do find something I will let you know.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 10:02 PM   #5

I was able to download photofiltre (english version) and it is a nice little program. Using the swap rgb to bgr produces the correct colors but the auto levels tool is considerably "weaker" than photoshop's. Gimp auto levels isnt very strong either. I wasnt able to reproduce the ps intensity.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:52 PM   #6

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:33 PM   #7

Now I see that irfanview (also free) has an rgb swap tool. I quess this is a somewhat common image editing tool. Still unable to match the auto levels intensity of these programs with that of photoshop which many feel is way over the top. Perhaps it is. IMO, the fz1 ir can use some over the top pizzaz. How does photoshop determine the level adjustmment it makes for auto levels?