Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 21, 2005, 10:04 PM   #1

I purposely focused on the branch and pine needles to defuse and distance the lantern for effect. I really liked the shape of the branch, and liked the way the pine needles supportand balance the picture. It's reminiscent of Japanese prints. What do you think? Your critiques welcome.
Attached Images

guaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2005, 11:29 PM   #2

I really like how you can still see the green in the pine needles, which then blends into the background a bit.
jahsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 11:50 PM   #3

Guaz,
I like the idea of what you are trying to do. I agree the branch is unique I just find the lantern in the background distracts from what I think your intention was. I think a less recognizable background would have worked better and been less distracting. Or perhaps the lantern needs to be even more out of focus? IMO.
Cheers,
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 12:32 AM   #4

smac wrote:
Quote:
Guaz,
I like the idea of what you are trying to do. I agree the branch is unique I just find the lantern in the background distracts from what I think your intention was. I think a less recognizable background would have worked better and been less distracting. Or perhaps the lantern needs to be even more out of focus? IMO.
Cheers,
smac

Ok, I did a little quick and dirtyalteration. Is this more of what your talking about?
Attached Images

guaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 12:33 AM   #5

i like it, Guaz... the lantern offers a lighter background that makes the branch and the pine needles stand out, which they wouldn't do so well if it weren't there. the whole thing seems to invite meditative thinking, and gives a feeling of calm and quiet solitude. very nice...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 1:04 AM   #6

Yeah, that's the idea. IMO you want to de-emphasize the background objects. The light color of the lantern helps bring out the branch and the needles. I'd even go further with the blur. Play with it, I think you have a really great picture waiting to happen.
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 4:02 AM   #7

You've certainly got an eye for an interesting shot guaz. Love the composition.

I have to agree with smac tho, the lantern is too distracting, I find my eyes are trying to focus on it.

The more 'out of focus' pic is better, but man, you got a hard job editing out all the pine needles to make just the lantern blurred. :shock:
silvagod is offline   Reply With Quote