Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:43 AM   #1

Hello again all, I've joined the 6t club and the lens arrived yesterday (from b&h if anyone is interested).. I haven't really had a chance to try it out yet but will soon.. My question is, what do you folks carry yours in? That is, the big plastic box is nice but not very portable..

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:27 AM   #2

I know exactly what you mean about the case. I have a Lowepro Rezo 140AW bag (which I love for size and protection of my FZ20) but it won't fit in the bag with the case. I tend to carry around my laptop almost all the same places as my camera and have relegated to putting my 6T in the laptop bag since I don't need the 6T all the time. I may end up getting a bigger camera bag when I get my external flash with the agenda that I need to hold that and the 6T lens.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 10:42 AM   #3

I use a lowepro micro trekker, and because you can design your own pockets, it helps a lot in customizing for everything i have. I highly recommend it.

seth
indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:22 PM   #4

i found a smaller plastic box that would fit in a pocket of my camera bag, then made padded cut-out inserts for it from closed-cell poly foam to keep the lens from rattling around. fits neatly ina pocket of my bag,which the original box wouldn't do, and still provides excellent protection for the lens.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:55 PM   #5

I have another 6T-related question since I just got mine from B&H - how do you use it? I had a hella time focusing on anything in macro mode and there is NO WAY I could capture the kind of 6T shots some of you are posting here.

Any hints on using this bad boy are gratefully accepted.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:04 PM   #6

beernutz wrote:
Quote:
I have another 6T-related question since I just got mine from B&H - how do you use it? I had a hella time focusing on anything in macro mode and there is NO WAY I could capture the kind of 6T shots some of you are posting here.

There are a few threads about this if you dig, but the idea is to put the camera in manual mode, zoom in, press the shutter half way, thensway your body back and forth slightly until the subject is in focus, then shoot. I put the camera in manual focus because sometimes the camera isn't able to focus automatically, but I can still get it manually. I also put the camera in burst mode and get 4or so shots at a time. If you take a bunch of pictures, you're bound to get few good ones.

I'm a newbie, too, but using this method, I've taken a few nice shots. If someone has a better method, I'm all ears.

Merrill

mtritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:25 PM   #7

beernutz wrote:
Quote:

First of all, you will have to move back to about 12" from the subject. Then lock focus with a shutter half-press and move the camera closer and further to obtain maximum focus. Lots of light is needed. Btw, you doNOT have to be in macro mode. Macro mode is essentially useless beyond 3x zoom, anyway. To get the greatest depth of field, set A to f8.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:59 PM   #8

Fred is correct... You can't go beyond 2.999x with macro mode with or without the closeup lens. In fact, In macro mode, the 6t doesn't do much.

The first photo taken without the 6t shows why I am still trying to do macros indoors with my 6t.. Michigan.. Go figure.. So, it's back to my old macro buddy (now laid to rest in the vacuum cleaner)..

This is my original "first macro" that I posted some time ago.. No add on lens, just a lot of post processing.

This next one, macro mode, f2.8 1/50 second 16mm on the lens with the 6t..

The next one, Shutter priority, f2.8 1/100, same zoom as the last..

And finally, the true advantage of the 6t.. Very shallow dof but at a 12 inch distance, I could use the full 12x zoom.. Shutter priority, f2.8 1/100..

All were taken without a tripod or extra light. Only the daylight coming through the window was used.. Cropped and levels adjusted in photoshop 5 (which strips the exif). It should be a lot of fun if I can ever get outside to use it on a live subject..

Jeff
Old Mar 23, 2005, 6:51 PM   #9

Jeff - Sorry to hear about your weather. You can keep it. The weather here is totally miserable but at least it aint snow.

Put the fly back in the vacuum cleaner and the tripod back in the box and pratice on a nice shinny coin or piece ofjewellry under bright florescent light.Zoom to 6x from about 1 foot away and focus. Focus the same way you would in macro mode without the 6t. The only difference is, you're a foot a way from the subject rather than right up on it which seems counterintuitve but that's the way it works. As you increase the zoom beyond 6x you willincrease the focus distanceslightly. See http://www.ishots.net/fz1-2faq/fz1macros.htm

- Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 6:59 PM   #10

You just don't have the snow yet.. That photo was taken about 3 hours ago (now 7pm).. They said "flurries"...

The fly has been retired perminantly though I'm sure I'll get more chances at them.. The tripod is 40 years old.. The box is long gone :-)

Thanks for the tips..

Jeff