Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:11 PM   #1

I am goin on vacation over Easter, and after months of research, I feel that the FZ3 is the best super zoom camera out there for me, but the FZ5 is coming out soon... I my biggest prints would be 8x10s or maybe a bit larger, but those 8x10s would need to be tack sharp. Besides the 5 mp instead of three is there anything about the FZ5 that would persuade me to wait for it? Thanks for any info.
ben4147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:58 PM   #2

Sorry for the non-answer, but I don't think you can go wrong with either one. If you want to print larger than 8X10, you might be better off with 5 mpxls but Easter's next week and the FZ5 isn't being released until April 10th per Amazon.com.
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:18 AM   #3

ben4147,

I have the FZ-3. I've done several prints @ 8x10 and am very happy with them. They are very sharp, of course you need a sharp well exposed image to start with. If you are planning on doing a lot of 8x10 prints, then you may want the FZ-5. Many of my prints are 4x6 and 5x7 for this there is more then enough detail. I try very hard to "get it right" in the composition of the image so I don't crop very much.

One last thing to keep in mind, I don't think you will find a camera with as much value for the dollar as you get from the FZ3 right now, but that's just my opinion.

Have fun,

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:53 AM   #4

The largest 8 X 10 crop you can get from a 3Mp FZ3 image is around 190 PPI. That makes a very good print. But it is on the cusp where any further cropping will deteriorate the print. It isn't always possible to frame perfectly except for scenery and static objects. You often have the choice of grabbing the shot framed imperfectly or missing it completely. And the dinky electric zoom doesn't lend itself to framing quickly and accurately. Maybe I'm just making excuses for sloppy shooting, but I often have to crop photos taken in dynamic situations.

The FZ5 is a half stop slower at full zoom than the FZ3. I'm also guessing it is noisier, but that isn't absolutely necessary based just on sensor density. I would wait for some good reviews if you are going to miss Easter without a camera anyway. As Goldar says, you don't have much choice if you want a camera for Easter but to go with the FZ3.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:33 PM   #5

Based on saying that your 8x10's need to be "tack sharp", I would go with the FZ5. Plus you'll have the most current features available so you won't be wishing for the newest model.
DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 6:49 PM   #6

DynamoHum wrote:
Quote:
Based on saying that your 8x10's need to be "tack sharp", I would go with the FZ5. Plus you'll have the most current features available so you won't be wishing for the newest model.
Have to agree with Dynamo on this but you may just want to wait just a wee bit because it looks like the first reviews of the Z5 are due very soon.

Harj

:?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote