Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 23, 2005, 7:59 AM   #1

Ok I guess this has been asked and discussed on the forum .... u can scold me for being lazy and not doing a search

Could anyone tell me any good external flash with a guide no of 30 feet and above and that will not fry my FZ20 for the camera. I beleive the acceptable voltage for the flash is around 24 V ... however i want to play it safe and would like a flash that doesnot exceed 6 V.... anyone using a high voltage flash????

Also which 3rd party batteries could i use for the FZ 20 that will also be compatible with the charger.... and are they safe enough...

Im from india and will be lucky enough to travel to singapore where i can buy a few accessories for the camera (lots of good stuff not available in India)... things on my list are

1) Phayee 62 mm Lens adapter

2) 62 mm Cover.

3) Flash

4) 3rd Party battery.

5) 512 MB card (any suggestions on a fast card?)

6) UV, Circular Polariser, IR filter (any good ones here..does the FZ20 give you good IR pictures and if yes with which brand of filter?)

Anything else that one would suggest that i should get myself to increase the potential of the camera?

Your advice and help does matter so please write in.

Besties

Dyu

dyu_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2005, 8:59 AM   #2

dyu_d wrote:
Quote:
Ok I guess this has been asked and discussed on the forum .... u can scold me for being lazy and not doing a search

Could anyone tell me any good external flash with a guide no of 30 feet and above and that will not fry my FZ20 for the camera. I beleive the acceptable voltage for the flash is around 24 V ... however i want to play it safe and would like a flash that doesnot exceed 6 V.... anyone using a high voltage flash????
24 volts would be the maximum. I would suggest staying far under it (12v or less).. Not for any particular reason other than safety margin.

Quote:

Also which 3rd party batteries could i use for the FZ 20 that will also be compatible with the charger.... and are they safe enough...

Im from india and will be lucky enough to travel to singapore where i can buy a few accessories for the camera (lots of good stuff not available in India)... things on my list are

1) Phayee 62 mm Lens adapter

2) 62 mm Cover.
The adapter is only available from Rong Jin.. You can contact him through ebay by searching phayee. He can also provide you with the cover.

Quote:

3) Flash
A lot of people seem to like the sunpak 383 series flashes..

Quote:

4) 3rd Party battery.
I would suggest ebay again here.. Batteries can be had for around $10 US plus shipping.. A lot of them come from Hong Kong so I don't imagine there would be an issue shipping to India..

Quote:

Kingmax seems to be a popular one.. You could also go with Secure Digital.. Probably any would work. Don't waste money on anything faster than 60x. The camera doesn't support it. I've read somewhere the camera tops out at about 7.7Mbps and 60x is 10Mbps.. Mine is a 45x and it's plenty fast. I've not missed a shot yet (due to the camera).

Quote:

6) UV, Circular Polariser, IR filter (any good ones here.. does the FZ20 give you good IR pictures and if yes with which brand of filter?)
Hoya makes good filters.. If you go to Rong Jin for the adapter he can set you up with the UV and maybe the polarizer as well, reasonably priced. The IR filter, something different.. The camera blocks 80% of IR light (the FZ1 does not). IR photos are possible but from what I've seen and read, not really worth the bother of trying.. Too long of exposures would be required. If you want to try it though, the Hoya R72 seems to be the choice of the IR hotshots here.

Quote:

Anything else that one would suggest that i should get myself to increase the potential of the camera?

Your advice and help does matter so please write in.

Besties

Dyu

Good luck,
Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 9:15 AM   #3

dyu_d wrote:
Quote:
3) Flash
The most popular for the FZ20 is a Sunpak 383. The Vivitar 285 is also popular.

Quote:
4) 3rd Party battery.
Best to buy Panasonic branded battery replacemnts. Main thing is to make sure the replacement battery is 680mA or higher. Some are 600mA which is weaker. I just ordered an external battery pack, DigiPower DPS-9000, that is held in place by the tripod mount and is 1800mA. I'll report back to how it works out after I try it out in a week.

Quote:
Again, I recommend the Panasonic brand but it is the most expensive. The SanDisk Ultra III is very good too. It would be best to buy two in case one fails.

Quote:
6) UV, Circular Polariser, IR filter (any good ones here.. does the FZ20 give you good IR pictures and if yes with which brand of filter?)
The Hoya brand is very good. For the UV filter, I would get the pro version which tends to be thinner than a normal UV filter. I will be ordering a couple of these in the next month or two.

About IR, you will need a tripod to get good results with the FZ20. The older FZ1 does much better and one can take handheld IR shots. I know, I have both.

Enjoy,
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 9:36 AM   #4

1) Buy the Phayee adapter from Rong Jin. He has also a oem battery replacement for $17 and Hoya HMC UV filter.

2) Flash: Sunpak 383 / 422D / 433D all are the same. - Vivitar 285HV
fmalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 12:37 PM   #5

I agree with fmalve. I wouldn't worry about buying Panasonic brand items. There are lots of good alternative brands that will perform just as well and cost much less. A high speed card will help with the burst mode.
DynamoHum is offline   Reply With Quote