Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 23, 2005, 4:51 PM   #1
DGC

The "sequential" numbering on my FZ20 is a complete mystery to me. It makes no sense and I cannot find a way to reset it. My Olympus 750 numbers consecutively, why not the Panasonic. I attach a list of numbers which are photos all shot sequentially on my Panasonic. Can anyone explain the logic?

Attached Images

DGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:40 PM   #2

You can reset the numbers from within the "setup" menu. I am not sure why your numbers are not sequential, mine are.

Actually, I just double checked to make sure and mine are:

P1000435

P1000436

are sequential for sure. According to the manual, the format is

PXXX0000 where XXX is the folder number and 0000 is the file number.

From the manual:

NO.RESET Set this when you want to start the file number of the picture from

0001 on the next recording. (The folder number is updated, and

the file number starts from 0001.)

• The folder number can be assigned from 100 to 999.

When the folder number reaches 999, it cannot be reset. We

recommend formatting the card after saving the data on a PC or

elsewhere.

•When you insert a formatted card or a new card and select this

item, the file number is reset and the confirmation screen for

reset of folder number appears. If you select [YES] on the

screen, the folder number is reset to 100.

suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 7:29 PM   #3

If your talking about when you download the pics.....Not sequential because you view in playback mode and then continue to take pics without going back to where you left off. You can resort in photobase and most viewers.
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 7:49 PM   #4

[align=center]If you delete photos between shots the numbers won't be consecutive. The number gets deleted with the Photo.[/align]
[align=center]JaSoN S.[/align]
Spencer1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 9:32 PM   #5

The filesnames you posted are not the standard Panasonic filenames. The Panasonic scheme uses P followed by a 3 digit folder number and a 4 digit image number within each folder. So you should have a filename something like P1000166 and they will be sequential unless intermediate files are deleted. It looks to me like the software you are using to download the pictures from the camera is converting the filename to something else when you download. I suggest you check the program's settings to find out what is going on.
IanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 12:11 AM   #6

Those look like times. (hhmmss)
kiwi133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 3:31 PM   #7
DGC

Thank you for the responses.

I have found the answer to the question I posted on picture numbering. I'm possibly the only one that didn't
understand it, but on the off chance that there are one or two others, I attach an illustration to explain.

As you see in the SD Viewer window, the FZ20 does number and save images in consecutive order on the card.
However, this order disappears when you download the files.

When you download by "Copying Memory Card" you have two options which produce different file names.
You can create a directory that is named and saved "by date" or named and saved "by month."

As the illustration shows, all downloaded file names are created from the file date/time stamp.
If you save by date, file names are 6 characters based on "Hr/Min/Sec" ie 190024 is hour 7, 0 min, 24 sec
If you save by month, file names are 8 characters based on "Day/Hr/Min/Sec" ie 23190024 is day 23, hour 7, 0 min, 24 sec.

I personally dislike the Panasonic conventions of creating folders on your SD card and using the date/time stamp to
name downloaded files. However, I suppose that if this ends up as the most annoying feature of the camera, we won't have a great deal to complain about.
Attached Images

DGC is offline   Reply With Quote