Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 23, 2005, 9:28 PM   #1

HI everyone,
I have a FZ20, have had it for many months...our outdoor shots, in any mode, come out terrific. However, anytime I'm indoors, even in rooms that I think are well lit (example, a YMCA gym) most of my shots come out blurry on even slow moving subjects (kids just standing in a line in the gym looking around). This is in P mode. If I put it in Sports Scene mode it is slightly better but still blurry on very easy action shots. If I knock down shutter speed in shutter priority mode I can clean it up a bit...

But my question is this: Do others also typically have blurry pictures when in P mode in indoor shots, even when you think there is a reasonably good amount of light? I don't recall having an issue with my older camera, a Canon PowerShot S40, even indoor in their Auto mode. When I use my flash, it of course improves the situation!

On another topic but somewhat related, the auto white balance to me doesn't work very well. I always get funky flesh tones when not in std incadescent lights (for example agian the YMCA gym with it's halide or halogen lights, whatever they use). In these cases I always need to use the "teaching" white balance mode to correct images...do others have this experience as well? I also have taken pictures in the same gym with my old Canon PS and do not recall seeing any issues like this. What exactly does "automatic white balance" really do?

Asking because I'd love to give the camera to the wife and use as a point-n-shoot in P mode, without screwing with manual settings...that's more my domain I guess. She gets very frustrated when almost every indoor shot, even in what I would think is acceptable lighting, is blurry.

Thanks!
luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:02 AM   #2

I don't have a FZ20 but may be able to offer a suggestion for improving your indoor shots with this camera.
Try using Aperture priority mode instead - such as f4 or f2.8.This forces the camera to select the highest shutter speed it can for the prevailing lighting conditions and will help to reduce the likelihood of camera shake.

As far as the colour balance is concerned the colour temperature of artificial lighting is highly variable even from identical sources.This makes it very difficult for even the best camera program to work correctly.The human eye is streets ahead on colour correction under these circumstances which is why you see things differently from the camera.
If you then experience so-called mixed mode lighting such as fluorescent lighting in conjunction with daylight ,the situation becomes even more difficult for the camera programs.
stickleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:49 AM   #3

Getting indoor shots in a gym with poor lighting conditions and maybe fast action is not a point and shoot affair, i think.

I use an FZ-10: I set the iso to 400-screw the noise, I want the shot, and set the shutter speed to 1/100. The lens will mostly be at 2.8. If there isn't enough light, you can try to lower the shutter speed, but i don't recommend it. I post process, whatever I come out with. it's possible to get some good shots, especially if you use noise removal software.

SLK
bshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:50 AM   #4

stickleback wrote:
Quote:
As far as the colour balance is concerned the colour temperature of artificial lighting is highly variable even from identical sources.This makes it very difficult for even the best camera program to work correctly.The human eye is streets ahead on colour correction under these circumstances which is why you see things differently from the camera.
If you then experience so-called mixed mode lighting such as fluorescent lighting in conjunction with daylight ,the situation becomes even more difficult for the camera programs.
Which is why you want to set your white balance to the space you are using. You are right, I have the same experience with the auto settings of just about everything. May work for the ideal conditions at the panasonic lab but in our homes and other places, it lacks... Seriously.. Use the manual white balance for everything but sunlight and flash.. That's my route anyway. If you can get your wife use to setting the WB in difficult situations, at least that part, the camera will do the rest.

You might also consider an external flash, any one of which make the built in flash look sick. The on camera flash, in spite of what the spec says is good only up to about 10-12 feet. That's my experience anyway. Decent indoor shots are possible with the built in, don't get me wrong, but it takes a lot of fiddling around with it to get it right. Fine for repeatable subjects until you have the nack for it but frustrating up to that point. A starting point for the built in would be shutter priority (it's going to default to f2.8 ) at around 1/30 - 1/60 second, ISO 80 or 100. An external flash would take care of most of this (and also kill the red-eye) and give you more exposure options.. See the recent threads for discussions on external flashes.

Almost forgot.. You may also try spot focus in your gym..

Good luck
Jeff

:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote