Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:38 AM   #1

I read this on dpreview, I tried it and it seems to work, so I thought I'd share it here.
On camera: set the zoom to 12x, manual mode with aperture at f/8 and shutterspeed at 1/125, ISO to 100. I manually white balanced with a white card.
On flash (I used a Sunpak 422D with a Lightsphere II diffuser): set flash to auto f/8 and ISO set to 100.
Back to camera, I switch from manual to shutter priority in to be able to use the LCD to focus (it is dark in manual mode) and move the camera back and forth to find proper focus starting from about 25cm away from the subject. Once in focus, I switch back to manual mode and take the picture.

It sounds more difficult than it is. I started with some inanimate test subjects but I'm going for moving critters later today. Here are a couple of test shots.
Attached Images

beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:39 AM   #2

another
Attached Images

beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 12:01 PM   #3

You're OK beernutz. thanks for doing the research. Joe
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 12:01 PM   #4

Those look great. Thanks for the tip. I think I'll play with my 6t today as well. Thanks,
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 5:08 PM   #5

Me three! Great info, and I will try it out also, and let you how it goes - will try it with my homemade ringlight.
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 5:48 PM   #6

Thanks for the info beernutz but I think you instructions are more complicated than they need to be.

I have taken a lot of photos with the Nikon 6T and I have found that "A" mode with f8 and an external flash (where the shutter speed is automatically set at 1/60) gives great results. If you use an external flash the shutter speed doesn't need to be fast as the flash creates an effectively fast shutter speed. As for flash settings I have haven't found a setting that always works, it all depends on what sort of diffuser you use and the angle. I just play until I get a good setting for a given setup for that day.

Hope this helps. The gain up issue with the FZ's in Manual mode is a problem but I think using "A" mode is a good solution and seems to work for me.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote