Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 25, 2005, 12:48 AM   #11

ianperegian wrote:
Quote:
it appears the FZ5 might have different in-camera processing
That and the glass
Puts Pany in another class

Wake up and smell the Leica!

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 1:05 AM   #12

erasmus41 wrote:
Quote:
Let us know how you get on with this machine. There are a lot of us old time FZ1 lags who think it may be the best thing since sliced bread.
Hey Bryan,

The fz1 is the best thing since sliced bread. The fz5 can only try to sliceso well. With 2.5 years of technological advancement, will it? Or better? We'll see.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 1:06 AM   #13

Goldar wrote:
Quote:
The Minolta is dead in the water imo. Per DPReview's review:

"Noise is a serious issue at any ISO setting over 100 (and the top setting of ISO 320 is very poor in today's market)

[*]Visible noise at even low (100) ISO settings [/*][*]ISO 320 setting virtually unusable "[/*]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seem's Minolta had great difficulty cramming this many pixels into a CCD and keeping the noise under control. The review cited other issues regarding image quality, and the top ISO is only 320, and it's unusable. Since noise is "a serious issue over 100" then the oft-used ISO 200 must be pretty bad.

Sorry, perhaps the Minolta's only use is as a hair dryer.

Minolta's losing ground in the race, overall, imo. Not carried in many places, their SLR is overpriced, their big-zoom is a joke compared to the Panas. No one who does their homework will buy this camera at the same price as the Panas. Noise is a deal killer.

Nick T.
I Agree Nick, you missed one point tho' the FZ5 is delicious its edible.... the KM Z5 nope
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2005, 6:27 AM   #14

How about battered and deep-fried, with chips?

A friend of mine just bought one -- he'll probably call in and show it off soon, I'll ask him what it tastes like.

(He might even offer me a bite -- or bite me...)
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote