Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 24, 2005, 1:13 PM   #1

The Konica Minolta DiMage Z5 has been reviewed at dpreview including comparisons with the fz5 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminoltaz5/ Very similar: $500; 5mp; 35-420mm; ois; same small size; model number

Some quick observations:

1. z5 loses full stop at tele (2.8-4.5 vs 2.8-3.3 for fz5)
2. z5 has manual focus vs fz5af only
3. z5does not have a suppliedaccessory lens adapter/hood
4. z5 uses 4-AA batteries
5. z5 has minolta external flashhot shoe

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2005, 1:28 PM   #2

Plus the z5 can also be used as a backup hair dryer:idea:
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 1:33 PM   #3

The Minolta is dead in the water imo. PerDPReview's review:

"Noise is a serious issue at any ISO setting over 100 (and the top setting of ISO 320 is very poor in today's market)

[*]Visible noise at even low (100) ISO settings [/*][*]ISO 320 setting virtually unusable "[/*]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seem's Minolta had great difficulty cramming this many pixels into a CCD and keeping the noise under control. The review cited other issues regarding image quality, and the top ISO is only 320, and it's unusable. Since noise is "a serious issue over 100" then the oft-used ISO 200 must be pretty bad.

Sorry, perhapsthe Minolta's only use is as a hair dryer.

Minolta's losing ground in the race, overall, imo. Not carried in many places, their SLRis overpriced, their big-zoom is a joke compared to the Panas. No one who does their homework will buy this camera at the same price as the Panas. Noise is adeal killer.

Nick T.
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 6:29 PM   #4

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
The Konica Minolta DiMage Z5 has been reviewed at dpreview including comparisons with the fz5 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/konicaminoltaz5/ Very similar: $500; 5mp; 35-420mm; ois; same small size; model number

Some quick observations:

1. z5 loses full stop at tele (2.8-4.5 vs 2.8-3.3 for fz5)
2. z5 has manual focus vs fz5 af only
3. z5 does not have a supplied accessory lens adapter/hood
4. z5 uses 4-AA batteries
5. z5 has minolta external flash hot shoe

Sorry, but other than perhaps the size in hand difference, for which I prefer the FZ20, I'm not seeing a lot of reason to go with the FZ5 over the FZ20.. For some reason I thought the FZ5 had manual focus and/or an external flash capability.. I probably read somewhere here that it didn't but forgot as I had no intention of buying the camera. In my mind, those features are Well worth the extra size and money. As the reviewer states at the end of the z5 review, "oh if only this camera (FZ) had a RAW mode!"... for which I would GLADLY give up that cheezy movie mode.

I do have to agree with Goldar with respect to the Z5, Noise.. Definate deal killer. I hope people purchasing that camera Have done thier homework..

Let us know what you think of your FZ5 when you get it..

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 7:03 PM   #5

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, but other than perhaps the size in hand difference, for which I prefer the FZ20, I'm not seeing a lot of reason to go with the FZ5 over the FZ20
At this point (barring some totally unexpected and highly unlikely reduction in noise), size is the only reason for choosing the fz5 over the fz20 and for many the fz1/2/3/4/5is too small, anyway. In fact, the fz20 has many features that recommend it over the fz5. I briefly had the fz20 but found its size (vsmy fz1) to be too cumbersome for my taste.That will not be an issue with the fz5 so I suspect I will be quitehappy with it. I should have the fz5 in my tiny hands this time next month.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 8:11 PM   #6

Fred

Glad too here the FZ5's on its way!

Harj

:arrow:
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 10:50 PM   #7

As well as the major problem with noise, the KM Z5 doesn't have a focus assist lamp which is a serious omission IMHO.

On page 9 of the review, the test chart shots show that the new FZ5 lens is giving the same resolution as the FZ20, and distinctly better than the KM Z5.

When the test shots are compared at high magnification (pixel level), it appears the FZ5 might have different in-camera processing, as there seem to be less (JPEG?) artifacts compared to the FZ20, at least at the particular settings that were used: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/16475057/
Ian
ianperegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:24 PM   #8

Fred,

Let us know how you get on with this machine. There are a lot of us old time FZ1 lags who think it may be the best thing since sliced bread. I followed your link (on another forum) and downloaded the user guide, and I was amazed at how many more features it has.
erasmus41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:46 PM   #9

I have been looking hard at the FZ5. I like smaller, and if the FZ5 had a focus ring and 640x480 video, it could be the perfect camera, at least for me.

I can hardly wait to see some FZ5 vs. FZ20 vs. Z5 pictures.

Also, due to the body style of the Dimage F5, I think it is a bigger camera than the FZ5. When you look at the FZ3 in stores, it is the smallest thing in its class.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 11:49 PM   #10

Fred,

I'm really hoping you will like the new FZ. I think one of the most interesting quotes on the DP site was at the very end.

"It's not perfect (and if it weren't for the Panasonic Lumix range it would be a real contender), but the DiMAGE Z5 certainly has plenty to recommend it."

That tells me the FZ will once again get a better rating then the KM line. I would guess the FZ4/5 will both get the "highly recommended" rating the other FZ cameras have gotten.

-Brett

bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote