Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 25, 2005, 8:34 PM   #1

Does anyone dispute the fact that to put a UV on the front of a fz 20(et.al.) is detramental to image quality?
Whisperin Squash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2005, 12:00 AM   #2

Whisperin Squash wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone dispute the fact that to not put a UV on the front of a fz 20(et.al.) is detramental to image quality?
If I understand your question, IMO, the fact that you don't put a UV filter on the front of an FZ20 will have no effect on the image quality. UV is invisible.
If you don't put a UV filter in your FZ20 you might get scratches and dust on the lens, and THAT will have a detramental affect on image quality.

Cheers,
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:45 AM   #3

Thanks for reasserting my thoughts entirely. I'm in a discussion on another forum as to the use of a UV in front of the Leica, is cause for image degradation. If there is none (image degradation), why take a chance by not having a quality uv in front of the Leica, and leave it there. If you clean it with a micro-cloth or lens paper or ?, to not touch the Leica lens (or, as little as possible) is paramount.
Appreciate your thoughts.
Dick
Whisperin Squash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:52 AM   #4

Hello fellow Wisconsinite,

I agree with smac on this one. I use a UV (0) which basically is a clear distortion free glass that protects the (leica) Like Ka lens (lense). I use a lens pen to keep it clean and it does not smudge anything that may inadvertantly get on the lens.

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:41 AM   #5

Putting a UV on the original lense adaptor will reflect the lense under bright sun. therefore you will need a shorted lense adaptor.
yeongcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 1:14 PM   #6

Another big reason why you should, is also that by keeping the adapter with a UV on the camera at all times, you protect ->greatly<- against dust being pulled inside the lens groupings when the camera's lens barrel contracts when you turn off the camera.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 1:27 PM   #7

Ok, im a total beginner when it comes to this -- can someone explain, maybe links, to exactly what i should pick up ? thanks
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 10:49 PM   #8

Get a Hoya Super HMC Pro UV filter - 55mm,62mm or 72mm depending on the adapter that you have - its costs about $30 depending on thread size. Tiffen and B+W does very good UV filters too. You'd be amazed how much crap - dust, etc you can pick up and Nick's right about the dust getting inside the lens groupings - I remember reading on the forum a while ago the exact thing happening and the cam's had to be sent back to panansonic to be repaired.

megapixel.net has a nice article on filters - you may need to look for it under photography tips.

http://www.megapixel.net/html/issueindex.php?lang=en

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 11:28 PM   #9

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Another big reason why you should, is also that by keeping the adapter with a UV on the camera at all times, you protect ->greatly<- against dust being pulled inside the lens groupings when the camera's lens barrel contracts when you turn off the camera.
Great point Nick. I recall reading a thread on another forum where 3 people had to send their cameras in for service for that very reason.

I allways keep mine on.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 5:51 AM   #10

UV filters are a must. My first post on this forum was about a dust mite that had got inside my lens. The little bugger loved the place and would come out and crawl around on the inside of the glass. He moved out and I have had a UV filter on ever since.

Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote