Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 26, 2005, 7:44 AM   #1

Could anybody please post a diagram and/or to explain to me how the shutter remote cable works?
I am to understand that it's similar in looks to a standard PL audio plug , and understand how it could only be set to two positions (either pressed all the way down or not pressed at all) and I know that these are AF half-press capable.
So could someone please explain it to me?

thanks,

Amir
Amiroquai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2005, 8:22 AM   #2

Hello Amir, the shutter remote that I have for the FZ 20 does have at one end a plug similar to an audio plug, this part plugs into the camera, the cable issome 12 to 15 inches long or 30cm, there is a button to press that works similar to that of the shutter button on the camera by pressing half way to set of the auto focus, then continue pressing to set the shutter to operate.

Somewhere in this forum was a photo of the remote I'll see if I can find it for you.Hope this has helped.

Harry

Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 8:52 AM   #3

thanks for the reply
I pretty much know about the operation of those.
what I don't understand is how they could achieve 3 positions with this cable - not pressed at all , half pressed , pressed all the way down
if there were only 2 position I would have understood it, either a full closed circuit or a broken one...

Amir
Old Mar 26, 2005, 9:36 AM   #4

If you are familiar with a stereo audio plug you know there is a tip and a ring and a ground. The ground is common between the two and the tip and ring each handle one channel.

On the Remote cable, there is the Tip and ground AND there are TWO rings, so you have 3 channels, or as you put it, 3 positions. The button then works exactly as the trigger button..

I have one of these cables and have to tell you, I rarely take it out of the bag.. Unless you have some remote need, save your money and use the self timer.

Jeff

jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 9:51 AM   #5

jsiladi wrote:
Quote:
If you are familiar with a stereo audio plug you know there is a tip and a ring and a ground. The ground is common between the two and the tip and ring each handle one channel.

On the Remote cable, there is the Tip and ground AND there are TWO rings, so you have 3 channels, or as you put it, 3 positions. The button then works exactly as the trigger button..

I have one of these cables and have to tell you, I rarely take it out of the bag.. Unless you have some remote need, save your money and use the self timer.

Jeff
I understand it now..
thanks Jeff
It's actually for my improvised FZ-20 Battery Grip
I've been htinking of adding the vertical shutter realease mechanism to it.
I don't intend on actually buying the remote, but just constructing it from scratch ,as the parts for it shouldn't cost more than $1 here...
now I know what to look for.
Thanks ,

Amir
Old Mar 26, 2005, 1:09 PM   #6

Here is a basic diagram of the inside of my remote.

It works like this:
1. External buttom pushes thumbtack into squirrel
2. Squirrel jumps up and bumps internal switch
3. Internal switch trips camera shutter

Now I have to try to catch that little squirrel; when I opened my remote the darn thing hopped out and ran under the refrigerator!
:blah::G
Attached Images

pschooley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 2:29 PM   #7

LOL! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Now it all makes sense!
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:00 PM   #8

Out of the four connections on the plug only 2 are used(if i remember correctly, only the tip and the one next to it), the difference between the focussing and the actual trigger is in resistance values.

Do a search and you'll find a diagram with the 3 resistor values.

Erik
Erik VdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:08 AM   #9

The wired and wireless remote for the FZ20 use the same setup:

Three resistors: 36k 2.7k and a 2.0k all in series with contacts 3 and 4 of a 2.5 mm plug. The tip is connector one while 3 and 4 are away from the tip. I bought the connector from a dollar store that is on a hands free cell phone kit.

For half press short out the 36k resistor so the other 2.7k and 2.0k are still in the circuit.

For full press short out the 36k and the 2.7k so only the 2.0k is in the circuit

Usea multimeter to make sure the resistance between 3 and 4 is 36 + 2.7 + 2.0 or say 40 K

Note that the resistor values are not critical.

press your half press switch to short the 36k to get 2.7 and 2.0 for 5k ohms

press the full switch and to short the 36 and the 2.7 for 2.0k ohm between 3 and 4

I used a four relay wireless remote control to do the same thing for wireless remote control of the shutter.
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:18 AM   #10

FZ20 wired remote diagram:
Attached Images

stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote