Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 27, 2005, 2:05 PM   #1

A newbie can only post to be initiated so here goes. The back of the swan is a little oversexposed but I'm happy. What is the view of the forum masters?

Straight from the camera except for resize.

Ian

Try again!!
Attached Images

Ian48Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2005, 3:13 PM   #2

Ian48Harry wrote:
Quote:
A newbie can only post to be initiated so here goes. The back of the swan is a little oversexposed but I'm happy. What is the view of the forum masters?

[img]file:///D:/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Ian's/FZ20/050326_Swan.jpg[/img]

Straight from the camera except for resize.

Ian
I think you forgot to attach the picture.. You need to either attach it or put it online somewhere.

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 3:31 PM   #3

Ian, you have the photo linked to your hard drive -- meaning you'll be able to see it on your machine, but the rest of the world is out of luck.
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 3:53 PM   #4

smilez03 wrote:
Quote:
Ian, you have the photo linked to your hard drive -- meaning you'll be able to see it on your machine, but the rest of the world is out of luck.
and Jeff wrote:
Quote:
I think you forgot to attach the picture.. You need to either attach it or put it online somewhere.
Well as a newbie I get one mistake so it's all downhill from now. Have edited and attached properly I hope.

Ian

Old Mar 27, 2005, 4:01 PM   #5

Well, I'm sure you'll have other mistakes along the way but you've corrected this one nicely.. Nice shot..

Enjoy the camera.. I do :-)

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 4:25 PM   #6

it's hard to meter properly ona white surface like the swan's back, without overexposing a little.if you meter on the water, the swan will be overexposed; if you meter on the swan, you risk underexposing the rest of the shot.you can use the EV bracketing feature, which will let you set your EV in 1/3 step increments on either side of "optimum" (as determined by the camera's metering system). that way, you get one shot slightly underexposed, one at the camera's ideal setting, and one slightly overexposed, so you can pick which one you like best. it's tricky, but you got a good balance with this one. the swan isn't too blown out, and the rest of the picture is properly exposed. nice job, all the more sofor a first effort!
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 4:31 AM   #7

Nice capture I48H.It's difficult to get the right exposure for detail on black or white birds. And don't think of it asmakingmistakes - consider itartistic license and experimentation :blah:
suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:37 AM   #8

Welocome to the 'Pana' mad-house......what's this 'FZ land UK'.....blimey the Americans will really love that......good thing its early hours of the morning there ya won't get any response for a while!!! Only Jokin of course.....Great photo....I like it.
Hazzarbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 3:54 PM   #9

Thanks all. Even at the grand age of 50 something I still get enthusiastic and nervous about some things. Really wanted to achieve some of the successes of my old Program A. The 20 is around half the weight of the Pentax and that is with the standard lens. If you add the 70-210 zoom and the WA the '20 is almost feather light! Only downsides are the slightly lesser WA of 36 and the 2.8 vs 1.4 of the standard lens but I'm well pleased.

Jeff, my humour (and spelling)is typically British. We like to do ourselves down then the only way is up! Think of Suze's Fish & chip shop posting.

squirl033 - I lived in Redmond for five years, English Hill where else. Loved my time there and your posts bring back such happy memories.

Suze, you too seem to love this camera. We don't have the bugs or some of the dramatic scenery but you have captured some of what "good old England" can offer.

Hazza, there are a few Brits lurking and posting but I guess that "FZ Land" may be OTT. Perhaps I should change to "FZ20 Enclave"!

Thanks again all.

Ian