Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 27, 2005, 2:09 PM   #1

Interesting as a real life test of how the FZ5 copes in low light indoor situations – and thanks to my Dad for being a willing subject!

All pictures taken in Auto mode, approx 8ft from subject, zoom 4x. No post processing other than resize.

Chalk

Low light, no flash, ISO 200, 1/4 sec, f3.3

Low light, flash, ISO 400, 1/60 sec, f3.3

Window light from right, no flash, ISO 200, 1/5 sec, f3.3

Window light from right, flash, ISO 400, 1/60 sec, f3.3

chalkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2005, 3:07 PM   #2

Very interesting. Thanks for posting, Chalk. And thanks to your father for posing. I read at dpreview that the fz5appears to switch from f2.8 to f3.3 at about 4x zoom. These suggest that might be true. The first one is the only one exhibiting a significant amount of noise. I wonder why auto didn't choose iso400 and then clean it up as it did on the other iso400 shots. At any rate, the af assist seems to be doing a good job. We're you using a tripod? Was the ois on? They recommend turning the ois off when using a tripod.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 5:18 PM   #3

No problem, Fred. I don't think my father would have been too happy sitting there all afternoon while I tried different settings - so I just chose auto. Auto set ISO 200 for both non-flash shots, perhaps in an effort to reduce the noise. I managed to find a tripod and yes, OIS was on (mode 1). Thanks for the tip, I'll remember to turn it off next time - I have so much to learn.

It's interesting the extent to which the chair colour changed in the last 2 shots. If I had kept the zoom to <x4, so f2.8 was used, do you think the noise level in the 1st pic would have been reduced?
chalkman is offline   Reply With Quote