Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 29, 2005, 9:28 AM   #11

Charlie46227 wrote:
Quote:
eddie_dane wrote:
Quote:
The FZ20 does have a threaded connector, which is what the included plastic adaptor threads onto (the lens itself is not threaded). There is a ring just outside the manual focus ring that is removed and you use those threads to connect the lens adaptor. The stock petal hood attaches to the included lens adaptor. The stock adaptor is a 72mm on the outside and for some reason Panaonic made the adaptor so deep that any filters you add to the adaptor puts them to far away from the lens and causes issues already named above.

So, many opt for a third party adaptor which does a few things:
1)places the protective glass and filters closer to the lens eliminating reflections

2)Most third party adaptors are of a smaller standard dimension (62mm, 55mm, etc) allowing you to not only use smaller/cheaper filters but a wide range of other lenses like Olympus and Nikon.
Plus the Phayee is metal (and the others I assume) and of very good quality so you're not as likely to 'screw it up' or have problems with add-on lenses. Don't want a tele to 'wobble, eh?! :O
That's a good point. I have the Pemaraal adaptor 62H which is annodized aluminum but they do make a plastic version as well so there are some plastic adaptors out there. I like metal too.
eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 9:07 AM   #12

Thanks Harj!

The Hama collapsible lens hood is the way to go . Especially since I have the Panasonic LTZ10 telecon. I can use the filters from some of my Canon lenses. Now I just have to figure out how to get a protector for the LTZ10.
aquapuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 9:19 AM   #13

Thanks everyone for your help. After reading Dr. Shene's excellent guide, it seems to me that the Hama solution is exactly what I need. I wonder why it gets so little press here.

And I still hate cats. :evil:

aquapuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 10:54 AM   #14

aquapuss wrote:
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your help. After reading Dr. Shene's excellent guide, it seems to me that the Hama solution is exactly what I need. I wonder why it gets so little press here.

And I still hate cats. :evil:

What a coinky dink, I was just singing the praises of the Hama earlier this morning here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...281875#p281875

Don't hate cats, they make great pinatas.
beernutz is offline   Reply With Quote