Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 27, 2005, 7:31 PM   #1

I'm a VERY happy owner of the FZ20 and the LTZ10 telecon. I want to get filters to protect both and also a polarizer. I have read all boards about all these converters that are needed in order to put filters of various sizeson the FZ20. Why do you folks go through all this trouble with adapters, hoods etc. ?

Panasonic sells the DMW-LMC72 protector for $30-40 which seems like the obvious choice to me.

:?

I read something about needing the filter closer to the lens and smaller filters giving better results but this makes no sense to me. Therefore, can someone recommend a high quality solution to a simpleton like me? I don't mind paying some extra bux to keep it simple. Simple means minimizing the number of parts needed and being able to use the original lens hood etc.

So what should I get for:

1. Protector for the FZ20 lens

2. Protector for the LZT10 telecon

2. Polarizer

Thank you so much.

aquapuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2005, 8:06 PM   #2

shhh..listen and you shall see ..
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 8:21 PM   #3

I hate cats.
aquapuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 9:24 PM   #4

Congratulations on your purchase of the FZ20 and the LTZ10 telezoom lens.

If you use the supplied adapter with the 72mm UV filter you can do better than the Panasonic as far as price.

Using the adapter with a DMW-LMC72 UV is not the way togo.

Reason is the lens barrel and the adapter has quite a gap and that can cause reflection problems and the petal hood adapter won't help with that problem.

The best case scenario is to use the adapter and petal hood during night shots with no filter at all.

Get either the pemeraal, raynox, phayee, chen or yoshida adapter for all your other shots.

Phayee seems to be first choice with raynox and pemeraal being second.

The cost of the raynox adapter (52mm) and the UV and Linear polarizer lens costs $50.00 at bugeyedigital.

The actual size of the lens on the FZ10, 20 is 49mm so using the 52mm is ok.

The phayee (62mm and 72mm)can be found using search in ebay where it is sold.

Pemeraal (62mm)is at two sites and one is photosolve.

The LTZ10 has no threads on the front of the lens but can be had with using an 86mm filter and a small bead of silicone to hold it into place.

smac our resident LTZ10 poster uses it as is with no filter and has shown some amazing shots taken with it.

The smaller the adapter forthe cheaper the filter.

One other option without using an adapter but is a snap on to the end of the leica (like ka) lens is by NextPhoto. This can only be used for filters only.

Happy to confuse you even further and cats are kewl.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 11:19 PM   #5

first of all, welcome aboard, and congrats on your new Z20 and telecon lens.

second, it's not "all this trouble". most of us have found the Phayee, Pemaraal, Raynox, etc. adapters to be simple, easy to use, and to work well. that's why so many of us use them instead of the adapter that came with the camera. the Panasonic adapter places the "protector" too far away from the actual lens, which can under certain conditions cause reflections that can interfere with the image. in general, the closer any additional filter is to the camera glass, the better, which is why we spend the additional $50 or so for an aftermarket adapter and UV/skylight filter (that's $50 for both, not just the adapter...). The other is that by using these adapters, we can also use other filters, such as polarizers, colored or special effect filters,in a smaller size than the 72mm required by the Panasonic adapter, which means they're cheaper as well as closer to the lens. and if you want a close-up lens like the Nikon 6T for macro work, those are only available in smaller sizes like 55-58mm or 62mm...

i have the Phayee adapter, and it, with a UV filter, stays on my camera at all times. i just considerit part of the camera.the adapter has a threaded portion on it which will allow attachment of teleconverters or WA lenses simply by screwing them onto the adapter. nothing could be simpler. same if i need a special effect filter, like a polarizer, a star filter, a diffuser, or any other screw-mount circular lens - i simply screw itonto the front of the "protector" UV filter, just as i would on an SLR lens. piece of cake.

think of it this way... it the Panasonic adapter and "protector" were all that good, Phayee and the rest wouldn't have a market... there's a very good reason so many people with FZ-series cameras use them. there's nothing complicated or difficult about them, and they work.

PS - cats rock!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 11:30 AM   #6

Does the supplied lens hood fit with the alternative adapters or does everyone buy a new one of those too?

I ask because I'm eyeing up the FZ20 as a possible (probable?) contender for my jump from a 70s (?) built Praktica manual SLR (MTL3) to the digital world. I want to make sure I know about everything that I'll be buying in the near future. A UV filter (and it seems the means to attach it) is a pretty high priority. I always have one on my current lenses and treat it as part of the camera. I also always have a hood either on or near to hand.

I'm a little confused by the need for an adaptor at all. My current lenses have a thread on them and I attach filters and a hood to that thread. I could buy an adapter which has a larger thread on one side than the other to attach larger filters (although I have no need for this.) I assume from this discussion that the FZ20 does not have a thread on the lens and this adapter connects to the front (how if there is no thread?) to provide one. Is there a particular reason why the lens doesn't have a thread?
Vrajgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 11:49 AM   #7

The FZ20 does have a threaded connector, which is what the included plastic adaptor threads onto (the lens itself is not threaded). There is a ring just outside the manual focus ring that is removed and you use those threads to connect the lens adaptor. The stock petal hood attaches to the included lens adaptor. The stock adaptor is a 72mm on the outside and for some reason Panaonic made the adaptor so deep that any filters you add to the adaptor puts them to far away from the lens and causes issues already named above.

So, many opt for a third party adaptor which does a few things:
1)places the protective glass and filters closer to the lens eliminating reflections

2)Most third party adaptors are of a smaller standard dimension (62mm, 55mm, etc) allowing you to not only use smaller/cheaper filters but a wide range of other lenses like Olympus and Nikon.

eddie_dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 6:30 PM   #8

eddie_dane wrote:
Quote:
The FZ20 does have a threaded connector, which is what the included plastic adaptor threads onto (the lens itself is not threaded). There is a ring just outside the manual focus ring that is removed and you use those threads to connect the lens adaptor. The stock petal hood attaches to the included lens adaptor. The stock adaptor is a 72mm on the outside and for some reason Panaonic made the adaptor so deep that any filters you add to the adaptor puts them to far away from the lens and causes issues already named above.

So, many opt for a third party adaptor which does a few things:
1)places the protective glass and filters closer to the lens eliminating reflections

2)Most third party adaptors are of a smaller standard dimension (62mm, 55mm, etc) allowing you to not only use smaller/cheaper filters but a wide range of other lenses like Olympus and Nikon.
Plus the Phayee is metal (and the others I assume) and of very good quality so you're not as likely to 'screw it up' or have problems with add-on lenses. Don't want a tele to 'wobble, eh?! :O
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 6:53 PM   #9

aquapuss wrote:
Quote:
I hate cats.
i forgive you my son for that blasphemous statement ..
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:02 PM   #10

Aqua

Check out this link - its Dr' Shene's guide to the FZ10 - so applies to the FZ15/20's too - its a must read and will answer all or at least most of your answers esp with regards to the stock Pana adapter and why its best to replace it.

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/

Harj

PS

And Welcome Dude!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote