Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 27, 2005, 7:46 PM   #1

Okay... I understand the need for "lens protection", and that UV Haze filter can provide just that, but is the UV part of it needed?

I've read hundreds of posts here regarding this amazing camera, and I am going insane waiting to get it, but if i don't need to spend the extra monies then great!

Pulling from this source http://dpfwiw.com/filters.htm#uv you can see that UV filters don't inherantly provide any use, and Haze filters can add colour, no matter how good or expensive... yet it seems that a large number of people here at least seem to swear by them... Am I missing something?

I really haven't found a side by side comparison of shots taken with or with out a UV filter (good quality or bad) in order to make up my own mind...

Obviously it's gonna make a difference when I'm shooting at 10000ft while atop the Rockie Mountains this summer, but hey, unfortunately i don't live there all the time, nor always atop a mountain peak :blah: , so it's something to think about. I would love to spark a debate over this... there seems to be a lot of pro-UV (with alota how but no why), and no real discussion of NOT using these expensive and possibly image-ruining filters...

werd,
HitmanX
hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2005, 9:11 PM   #2

In my opinion

Neither UV or Haze filters do much for digital cameras.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 11:33 PM   #3

the reason most of us use haze/UV/skylight filters is because they are cheap insurance, and becausethey're on all the time to protect the lens, we don't WANT them to add color, tint, or any other effect to the picture. and since no one makes a plain, optical glass protective"filter" that doesn't do ANYTHING, the UV/haze/skylight filter is the next best thing. if you want to know why we use them, readsmiles03's post about the scratched lens, and ask yourself whether you'd ratherscratcha $20 filter, or the irreplaceable lens of your FZ...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 12:15 AM   #4

haha -- great point squirel! My scratch isnt as bad as initially thought -- a little gentle rubbing with a microfiber cloth took care of the smudge part, still a little tiny scratch, nothing too bad, but a BIG SCARE, and a BIG wakeup call to put some protection on the lens!

as far as the choice to go with a UV or haze filter -- why not use this?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...941&is=REG

Seems to be another piece of glass? Could this be used insteadof a UV filter to protect the lens?
smilez03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 12:33 AM   #5

smilez03 wrote:
Quote:
haha -- great point squirel! My scratch isnt as bad as initially thought -- a little gentle rubbing with a microfiber cloth took care of the smudge part, still a little tiny scratch, nothing too bad, but a BIG SCARE, and a BIG wakeup call to put some protection on the lens!

as far as the choice to go with a UV or haze filter -- why not use this?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...941&is=REG

Seems to be another piece of glass? Could this be used insteadof a UV filter to protect the lens?
i stand corrected! someone DOES make a "plain glass" protective lens. thanks, Smilez! same price as a UV/haze/skylight, but without the "filter" aspect which some folks may not want...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 2:32 PM   #6

okay... so then why isn't there any discussion about UV vs Plain glass?

It seems for the not-so-often need for a UV filter, you are potentially ruining ALL your photos with colour or otherwise, imperfections...

Maybe we should all just use Lens Protectors, and use the UV as we would polarizer or ND filters - as accessories...

does anyone have a side by side with UV and no UV? Otherwise we'll just never know...

HitmanX
hitmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 4:22 PM   #7

See http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...268027#p268027

Comparisonsusing fz1v2

UV filter on: 100% crop, f2.83, 1/8s, -2/3ev

UV filter off: 100% crop, f2.83, 1/8s, -2/3ev

UV filter on: f2.83, 1/10s, -2/3ev UV filter off: f2.83, 1/13s, -2/3ev

With the uv filter on the image is very slightly (imperceptively?) darker in the top two. With the uv filter on, the shutter speed was a little slower in the bottom two.The opposite was observed on some other shots; ie, uv filter off was slower. I have had a uv filter protecting the lens of my fz1 since I got it 1.5-2 years ago. And on my uzi before that. I feel very comfortable leaving it on all the time. My conclusion is that the uv filter has essentially no effect.

The adapter that comes with the fz20 will require a 72mm uv filter and will place it so far from the lens as to cause flare and reflection problems. You will definitely want to invest in another adapter ($20-30) with a smaller diameter (52-62mm) that will place the uv filter as close to the extended fz20 lens as possible. Total cost ~$50.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:40 PM   #8

Fred

Thanks for posting the shots and helping to clear that up for me as well - I do keep the UV on at all times as well.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote