Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:51 AM   #11

You definitely should not base a camera on it's video capabilities. If that's what you're looking for you will end up with a inferior camera.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:52 AM   #12

YorkshireTaff wrote:
Quote:
I find that by being loyal to good kit rather than the manufacturer I suffer less disappointment in life.
Simon, I normally go for individual "best of breed" as well but of late it has gone Pana through and through - TV, VCR/DVD, DAB, camcorder and now the '20. Shouldi ask for a loyalty card. All though were purchased with a spec in mind first and foremost.If you want movies then ... my camcorder does stills but they are "snaps" rather than "pictures", opposite problem with the '20

Ian
Ian48Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 12:32 PM   #13

I can't believe I'm asking for that much though. It's so exasperating! There's enough cheaper digicams out there that have 640x480 30fps with very flexible exposure modes, 4+meg CCD's but not the zoom.Why does a flagship model have to have everything seemingly perfect and then tag on something that stands out as very inferior? If I wanted to just take good pictures I'd stick to my EOS system and get a D-SLR body to strap on. I don't want to make movies, just capture my kids playing, first words, ski trips, etc. Probably less than 5% of my picture taking.

As for people who just say get a video camera, if they are that appalled by still DigiCams having movie modes and so keen on "real" photography how come they have got all-in-one camera's and not true SLR's? More frustrating than helpful I'm afraid.

Gotta say that CameraBright looks good though. Could solve a lot of problems.

It looks like I'll be sticking to my Fuji 602's 640x480 15fps and chuck the Z3 for the FZ-20... now to convince the wife.

Thanks for all your help Guys (and Gals?).

Simon
YorkshireTaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 12:44 PM   #14

I bought the FZ20 for it's picture taking ability. I never even looked at it's video side.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 1:13 PM   #15

YorkshireTaff wrote:
Quote:
As for people who just say get a video camera, if they are that appalled by still DigiCams having movie modes and so keen on "real" photography how come they have got all-in-one camera's and not true SLR's? More frustrating than helpful I'm afraid.

Simon
That's just a personal opinion of mine.. The reason I bought the FZ20 WAS for it's picture taking ability.. I certainly didn't need a digital camera for that either, Or the now $800 expense. I have film cameras coming out of my ears, all of which will outperform most, if not all, digital cameras. Including the Panasonic with it's Leica branded lens. However, to match the versitality of the FZ20, I would have to carry several lenses and a bunch of other stuff I don't really care to mess with anymore. I've gone from a case weighing 20 or so pounds to a bag weighing around 5.

Can the FZ20 do video? Yes.. Is it good? No. Fair at best and that's on a computer screen viewed at natural size. The zoom is locked at whatever position you start the video in, I don't know that the AF works during video, and it DOES require plenty of light. Just like real video. In my Personal opinion, Panasonic would have done Far better with the firmware space to include a RAW mode and scrap the video all together. Or add another manual WB option.. Or...

I'm not appaulled that digicams have video but to me, it's a novelty at best. I'm not trying to drive you away from the FZ cameras but if your intention is good video, you won't be happy with it. Even 5% of the use time.

Don't take anything I've said as a personal attack, it isn't. Just clarification..

Jeff
:G
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 1:29 PM   #16

Sorry if I sounded a bit too defensive/offensive with the video thing, I've been flamed for "wanting video on a digital camera!!!" too many times in other forums. Apologies to all and I do really appreciate all your honest advise.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 2:37 PM   #17

No apologies needed.. Not directed at you or your desire to have quality.. We all want it, with everything, in the neatest package possible with the best of all worlds. In fact, I've rarely seen anyone get truely flamed for asking a question on this particular forum (in my 2+ months here that is)..

A lot of us here have multiple digicams as well.. A lot of FZ1 owners hold on to them for dear life for the IR capabilities.. Even though they've bought the FZ20, FZ5, etc. The point being, even in the same model line, a single camera isn't going to suit total needs.. I'll bet there's even someone here with Every model. I've hung on to my now 9 year old Fuji for the IR... Just tried it this past weekend...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v285/jjmel/Easter/

Re your other message, did you mean Nikon 8800? or has canon used the same model number?? Either way, completely different cameras, the Nikon (or canon) and the Minolta A2.. Before considering the A2 I would dig DEEP and check the reviews. When I was considering one, I read of too many (more than two would have been too many for my comfort) mechanical problems with it requiring replacement or service of the camera.. The Nikon will run nearly twice the FZ20 so I would expect it to do Something better.

Jeff
jsiladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2005, 5:41 PM   #18

Thanks Jeff, and you're right. Sometimes I think the camera manufacturers have never actually used a camera outside their labs. I may be getting rid of lenses and accessories but I've got a feeling I'll be replaceing them with multiple camera's. D'Oh!

And I like the Easter shots. Kids and Dogs... PC's full of mine and I wouldn't have it any other way :-)
Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:16 PM   #19

I do use the movie mode more than I thought. But what I'm finding is that I actually prefer little quicktime ditties that I click on and play on my PC that last 10 seconds, than viewing a boring home movie video on TV. I don't really mind the lower resolution.
Goldar is offline   Reply With Quote